C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearend aficionados

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 04:20 PM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rearend aficionados

I have the rearend out of my car along with everything else. I was getting ready to put the new cover on and thought I would "prelube" it a bit before I buttoned it up. As I was rotating the gears I noticed I got a little bind or stick as the closed end of the posi came round to the pinion gear. As I increased the speed of rotation the stick or bind was not really noticeable. I was wondering if this is normal. There seems to be no metal to metal contact just a slight stick. I might add, while I was changing the cover I took out the carrier and yokes and cleaned everything up and replaced the yoke bearings and posi carrier bearings and races. I did not mess with the pinion bearings as I did not want to deal with the preload and such. I know those are good or were as I had some work done on it previoulsy. I hope that I did not change the setup by changing out to new bearings. At the time I did not see that it would matter but you know hindsight..... I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2001, 05:10 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Rearend aficionados (DVG73)

You will not mess up the pinion depth because you did not change these bearings. Side to side may have changed slightly due to tolerance of the bearings. You need to check the gear lash. This is the back and forth motion of the ring gear while the pinion stays in the same location. It should be .005 to .008. You need to mount a dial indicator on the housing and have the movement of the indicator in line to the gear movement. Hold the pinion steady and move the ring gear back and forth. It should be .005 to .008. If it is more or less you will need to shim the side bearings. This is important to do. To tight and you will create lots of heat and ruin the gears. To loose and there will be slop in the drivetrain. :D

[Modified by Gordonm, 4:11 PM 8/22/2001]
Old 08-22-2001, 06:39 PM
PBJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rearend aficionados (Gordonm)

Hey,
You have moved the backlash setting by installing the carrier bearings and races as gordonm has mentioned, the the he didn't say was , the wear pattern was already set in the ring and pinion. There is a good chance that you will have a cruise or decel whine if the backlash setting is not back where it was with the old bearings. It could be very minor or maybe no noise at all... but there is a chance. Gordonm is correct on the backlash setting .005-.008 , I set mine up a little on the tight side .003-.005, as long as it is not over .010 you should be fine.
Hope everything works out.
Later,
Joe
Old 08-23-2001, 11:03 PM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rearend aficionados (PBJ)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I found out what the problem was, I took that caps off and evidently I had not gotten the races/bearings completely seated. I made a couple of adjustments and now no binding. I am going check them with the dial indicator this weekend and then if everything is OK put the cover back on and go on to the next project.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearend aficionados

Quick Reply: Rearend aficionados