C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pwr Steering Control vlv - working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pwr Steering Control vlv - working?

How can I tell if my Power Steering control vlv is actually working? I just replaced my old one with one from VBP. As I still have some "slop" in my steering I wandered down to a local old vette shop and asked a few questions. Minutes later there mech. said it was my Control vlv. He also offered to replace it there as they stock them. It does seem the steering wheel moves too much in related to the vlv output.

If it is the vlv VBP will rebuild it for me with a 55 lb spring. Is this a good idea? Any experience would be a big help.

carbster09
Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Control Valve relates to steering effort. If it's working, the wheel ought to be easy to turn. The "slop" you refer to is almost certainly steering lash and not related to the control valve. Take the lash out of the steering box.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree to a point, the slop isn't coming from the valve. It is likely from the steering box, but also all the other worn components also. What has been replaced??
Gary is the guy to contact on tuning up the Steering box. The previous Post here suggest it is a bit critical to get it right, you can't just tighten the screw and call it good.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Other part replacement

Guys,

Well, I have replaced the easy stuff. All new bushings, idler arm, lower ball joints etc. I have not touched the rag joint or the box; however my usual corvette shop adjusted the box and it seemed to work...hmm.

I have the faq on the steering box and intend on going through the procedure. Failing that I will send it to Gary GTR .. as he seems to be the man. I do not want to simply buy another box. I want my steering set up properly.

Thanks

Carbster

Get notified of new replies

To Pwr Steering Control vlv - working?

Quick Reply: Pwr Steering Control vlv - working?