C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Van Steel front coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Van Steel front coilover install

Has anybody installed the Van Steel tubular a-arms and coilovers yet? Do you have any tips on installing the coilovers? Particularly, do you install the a-arms and the compress the coilovers like you would regular springs? Does someone make a spring compressor that mounts on the outside of the springs?

Thanks in advance,
Chris Johnson
Old 05-14-2006, 01:40 AM
C371
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them installed. I will post some pics tomorrow. In the package for the lower front a-arm bracket there are two washers. The washers are for the upper mount. They protect the upper cross shaft from the nuts on the mounting bolts. This confused me because they were packaged with the lower a-arm mounting parts. I used a block of wood on my floor jack to raise the lower a-arm and compress the spring. Be sure to use anti-seize on the shock threads and washer between nut and spring. Adjust the nut/spring as low on the shock that it will go. Line up the top of the spring with the upper spring pocket. Slowly raise the lower a-arm. You have to guide the upper shock mount through the hole. It helps to have a screw dirve to pry the upper shock rod into position. Once you have it far enough through the mount attatch washers and nut, Then continue to lift the lower a-arm until you can attach the ball joint. It is easy.

Quick Reply: Van Steel front coilover install