C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corvette central exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default corvette central exhaust questions

This is a follow up on another exhaust thread I started.
I was leaning towards a stainless works ALLUMINIZED exhaust, but someone mentioned corvette central's products.

Questions:
Are the magnaflow mufflers louder? How much?

Does the 2-2 1/2 inch exhaust system go back to a 2" ending, so the stock tips will fit?

Are the bends mandrel bent?

How is durability of the aluminized system?

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Smokin Joe - here is a little information on one of our C4 Magnaflow systems. Look over our new website it has a lot of information on all the different systems we make and how we make them.

This is a video clip of our 324337 magnaflow system. We hope to have sounds loaded on the http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.com website soon.

Inside C4

Outside C4

Does this help?

Dan
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received my system from Corvette Central. I believe it is manufactured in their facility. This being the case, I think they have a more vested interest in the outcome of the product, since they are involved with its production. They pipes are mandrel bent and they seem to have some pretty detailed bends in the intermediate pipes. Another nice touch was that some of the straight sections were flattened slightly on one side to increase ground clearance.

I went with the Magnaflows because the upgrade price wasn’t that much of a difference. I posted a question about them here and received positive comments. They look like well-built mufflers. You won’t need tips. The Magnaflows have them attached.

There’s a lot of debate surrounding aluminized vs. stainless steel systems. I won’t rehash that topic here but ironically, Corvette Central takes an interesting position on the issue for older cars: http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.com/aboutus.htm

Why Aluminized for 53-82 Exhaust?
Stainless steel works great for C4, C5 and C6 performance exhaust, but you will notice that our exhaust site does not list any stainless steel (SS) pipes for 53-82. We have listed SS systems in the past, but have always promoted aluminized systems for the following reasons:

SS retains heat which makes the pipes run hotter. This heat is radiated throughout the floor of the car.

Customers that purchase SS for its appearance will soon be disappointed because the SS pipes turn blue near the manifold and yellow back to the mufflers.

The heat retained by the SS will cause your exhaust system to grow in length as the car warms up.

Customers have measured this growth at as much as 1 ½”. This change is enough to make even properly fitting pipes rattle.

The stiffness of the SS causes inconsistencies in bending and also clamping difficulties.

At half the cost, we feel that aluminized exhaust systems are the way to go. The aluminized coating on the I.D. and the O.D. of the pipe allows for proper cooling. SS has many good applications for restoration parts on your car, but we do not feel quality exhaust systems for 53-82 are one of them.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had stainless pipes on my 74 for 19 years now and have had no problems whatsoever with them. If stainless pipes were such a problem why would the majority of new cars have them. Put this fairy tale to bed. If you want pipes that will last a lifetime go with stainless.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

thanks all, so the magnaflow pipes have polished tips that replicate my factory tips?

Are they virtually identical to my 69 tips or are they customized?
I'm doing a close to original car with minor upgrades for safety, and some performance.

Thanks guys. It's good to hear the different perspectives between alluminized and ss. I have a '00 with ss headers, back to the cat backs! I am looking at some cost savings in the exhaust area. CC's package deal addresses most of what I need.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tips are not polished but they are cut and bent to size.

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
thanks all, so the magnaflow pipes have polished tips that replicate my factory tips?

Are they virtually identical to my 69 tips or are they customized?
I'm doing a close to original car with minor upgrades for safety, and some performance.

Thanks guys. It's good to hear the different perspectives between alluminized and ss. I have a '00 with ss headers, back to the cat backs! I am looking at some cost savings in the exhaust area. CC's package deal addresses most of what I need.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorvetteCentral.com
Smokin Joe - here is a little information on one of our C4 Magnaflow systems. Does this help?

Dan
Yes, tried calling tonight at 6:00pm est, but too late I think. Your magnaflow tips are not pollished is that right? Is the only way I am going to get my stock chrome tips, or equivalent, on my 69 going to be to buy other than magnaflow?

If so, do I need to get the 2" exhaust system to replace the stock system?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
LT4Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Questions:
Are the magnaflow mufflers louder? How much?
They are louder, but not too loud. Just right in my opinion.

Does the 2-2 1/2 inch exhaust system go back to a 2" ending, so the stock tips will fit?
Yes!!!

How is durability of the aluminized system?
Though not as durable as Stainless, aluminized will last a long, long
time, as long as the finish is not scratched.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I put Corvette Central aluminized converter, y-pipe & Magna Flow mufflers on my '79. Fits good, sounds good...not too loud. Good stuff, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To corvette central exhaust questions

Quick Reply: corvette central exhaust questions