C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 vette (crossfire) Idles rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:28 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 82 vette (crossfire) Idles rough

Marck this may be for you. The car idles rough so bad that the car shakes a little. I can tell it is running rich from the smell of the exhaust fumes. I think that the Idle air motors probably need to be replaced. One maybe not functioning correctly so the other maybe over compenstating. (my guess) Is there any special trick for testing and/or replacing these? What else would make the car Idle rough and at high RPM (1,200 in park or nuetral)? Would the throotle position sensor affect this? If so, how do you adjust them?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Toms82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm not that knowledgeable about the workings of the crossfire, but in my case, replacing the temp sensor that sends signals to the ECM helped. The sensor is located near the water pump and is easy to replace. When the engine reaches operating temp, the ECM leans out the fuel mixture. If you are not getting a good signal from the temp. sensor, the ECM will run the motor too rich.
My 82 ran better with the new sensor.
Good luck,
Tom
Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

High idle on mine usually indicates a vacuum leak. I would check all your hoses and connections.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
midyear1
Instructor

Also check your throttle shaft bushings for wear , a common cause of vacuum leaks.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup, good suggestions above. Common causes are indeed dirty IACs, worn throttle bodies (shafts) common vac. leaks, poor atomization (check spray aptterns), coolant temp sender but also TPS pos (you can adjust it to 0,52 V +/- 0,025) but you need to use a splice connector or rig it up yourself. The connector can be bought from all the vendors. Plugs, wires, aircleaners...all will help some.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Toms82
Hi,
I'm not that knowledgeable about the workings of the crossfire, but in my case, replacing the temp sensor that sends signals to the ECM helped. The sensor is located near the water pump and is easy to replace. When the engine reaches operating temp, the ECM leans out the fuel mixture. If you are not getting a good signal from the temp. sensor, the ECM will run the motor too rich.
My 82 ran better with the new sensor.
Good luck,
Tom
NO MORE PING
I've had a "ping under acceleration" problem for a year now with my '82, and after reading your post on Thursday I bought a new temp sensor (Borg-Warner), installed it last night, drove the car today and NO MORE PING!!! I owe you big time! This was driving me nuts, I've changed the egr, new computer, played with the timing, and chased a few other issues trying to solve my ping problem, all things helped overall performance but it was still there and your suggestion of replacing the temp sensor was right on the money!!! I can't thank you enough
Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Also check all the bolts holding the top of the intake manifold on. On my 84, most of these were finger loose causing vacuum leaks and many of the symptons you describe.

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Marcusk408
Racer

Originally Posted by pcfred
NO MORE PING
I've had a "ping under acceleration" problem for a year now with my '82, and after reading your post on Thursday I bought a new temp sensor (Borg-Warner), installed it last night, drove the car today and NO MORE PING!!! I owe you big time! This was driving me nuts, I've changed the egr, new computer, played with the timing, and chased a few other issues trying to solve my ping problem, all things helped overall performance but it was still there and your suggestion of replacing the temp sensor was right on the money!!! I can't thank you enough
Which sensor did you replace?

Was it like this one?---http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G

Or this one...http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G

Anyone know the difference between the two sensors in the links? Isn't there just one coolant temp sensor? What's the difference between the ECM coolant sensor and engine coolant sensor?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Marcusk408
Which sensor did you replace?

Was it like this one?---http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G
[/URL]

Anyone know the difference between the two sensors in the links? Isn't there just one coolant temp sensor? What's the difference between the ECM coolant sensor and engine coolant sensor?
It was like the first one, is located at the front of the engine just below the smog pump. It sends signals to the ECM, made a huge difference in mine, I paid around $17 @ Pep Boys for one made by Borg Warner, they usually make very good replacement parts. The other I believe is just for temp gauge.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcusk408
One tells the computer the engine coolant temperature and it adjusts parameters based on coolant temp.

The other tells the gauge what to read.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

It was like the first one, is located at the front of the engine just below the smog pump. It sends signals to the ECM, made a huge difference in mine, I paid around $17 @ Pep Boys for one made by Borg Warner, they usually make very good replacement parts. The other I believe is just for temp gauge.

Is ther anywhere to buy an OEM part (they one that sends the signal to the ECM)? What is the part number?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by bluesilver82
Is ther anywhere to buy an OEM part (they one that sends the signal to the ECM)? What is the part number?
I can't get the # at this moment, maybe this evening but I just had the parts store look it up and they had it in stock. As in the pic from Ecklers you will have to splice the wires together because the connector is the newer style.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

How did you make the electrical connections?

There is a black and yellow wire coming to the original . Did you use them both or did you take the ground from the engine block somewhere?

I have the same wire + connector CTS and am going to install it soon. PS I also have noticed the pinging on acceleration. Hope this will fix it.

Brent....
Old 08-09-2006, 02:10 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
How did you make the electrical connections?

There is a black and yellow wire coming to the original . Did you use them both or did you take the ground from the engine block somewhere?

I have the same wire + connector CTS and am going to install it soon. PS I also have noticed the pinging on acceleration. Hope this will fix it.

Brent....
Use "both" connections. The Borg Warner connecto had a black and I believe green, I put the Black to Black and the other to the Tan wire.
Pinging could be due to a number of things, bad computer, bad ECM Temp sensor, bad ECM, vacuum leak, EGR valve, O2 sensor.
I'd start with the ecm temp sensor, check/replace ALL vacuum hoses, if that doesn't cure it I'd check/replace the O2 sensor and check/clean the EGR valve, if it persists I'd look into whether the computer is working, "Twin_Turbo" did a writeup on how to test the ECM, search the forum.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
High idle on mine usually indicates a vacuum leak. I would check all your hoses and connections.
Check the simple stuff first. My idle was high but went back to normal after tightening the intake manifold, etc. back to specs. Then it went way bad with high idle and rough running, just awful, when we were on a road trip. Ended up being the cruise control vacuum line split right where it goes into the manifold. I cut off the bad end, stuck it back on, and life is good I find 90 percent of the time it is something simple and not a sensor or something more complicated. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Marcusk408
Racer

Did you have to drain all the coolant before removing the sensor?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no, it will only spill a little if you are fast so keep the new one in reach when unscrewing the old one.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 08-11-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
no, it will only spill a little if you are fast so keep the new one in reach when unscrewing the old one.
And do it with the coolant cold.
As long as you own the '82 Twin_Turbo should be on your "best friend" list.

Last edited by pcfred; 08-11-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 vette (crossfire) Idles rough

Quick Reply: 82 vette (crossfire) Idles rough