C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 11:36 PM
fireball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much???

I bought a new pair of rear chrome bumpers $350.
It was fun removing the old ones in the fun display field, really, my car didn't break down!!! :smash:
Then the rear license plate bezel looked totally out of place, new bezel $65.
Then the guys at VB&P said they'd give me show discount on some Bilstein Sport shocks, $130 for front pair.
Then I couldn't resist the discount tool bin, compression tester w/ spark plug fitting $20, rubber mallet $4.
And I found out the incorrect upper radiator hose is on my car (and leaking), upper hose $25.
Then a bunch of bugs got splattered on my hood, Meguirs Show Finish $5.
And last but not least, a "My Daddy Drives a Vette" shirt for my little girl $10.

What a great weekend! Don't tell my wife, I told her I only spent $100 :lol:
Old 08-26-2001, 11:41 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much??? (fireball)

Where did you get the bumpers? The cheapest I saw was 200 a piece!!

I bought a new rear leaf spring for 75 bucks. I was looking for a few other things but didn't find them in the shape that I wanted.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:52 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fireball it was nice meeting you.
Love your LED gauge set on your vette.

I couldn't find a used dash pad for my '69 so I ordered at new one from Sam at The Last Detail tent for $247.
A great price considering it comes from Corvette America and Corvette America lists it at $369 in their catalog.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:03 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

HA! The $4 rubber mallet!! I hefted one of those, tried it out on my right knee, and put it back down. I will really regret not buying it next time a wrap a towel around the head of my hammer!! I also picked up a rear spring and decided I didnt want to carry that around either!! I did buy a clutch firewall boot ($7) and a clutch fork boot ($7) and a clutch firewall spring ($5). I am pretty cheap!!! MJ
Old 08-27-2001, 01:27 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much??? (MNJack)

hey guys! Great seeing you all and meeting you Fireball. I spent more than I want to know.... All of what I got was NOS or excellent used condition original stuff... for my purist NCRS side of course. ;) Plugs, points, condensor, distributor cap & rotor, ignition shielding, seat shims & bag (OK, the bag is repro :p: ), assorted screws and bolts and a bag full of other $5 and $10 stuff. I searched high and low for original vinyl door panels for a PW car (no window crank holes) but never did locate even one! Same with the center console. :( I had a blast though. Those guys in the Zip tent sure were the best hosts! Their hospitality tent really was great with the free soda and water and all that! I love ZIP! :yesnod:
Old 08-27-2001, 10:17 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

The only big purchase was used midyear side-pipe covers and hardware, with NOS pipes for $900, alot of small parts in the $10-$50 range.

Tom McCabe
Old 08-27-2001, 12:25 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a '96 Black/black LT-4! Mike69 will attest to haw freakin' fast this car is! Damn! Downside is that now I have to sell my 69 convertible. Not to worry, this just accelerates getting the Black L71 finished and on the road for next year.

Nice seeing you again fireball.
Juliette: where were you for go carts?
Old 08-27-2001, 12:27 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

It was nice meeting you Fireball, your car is great and like Joe said the gauges under the hood were trick!
I picked up a 69 SS brake line set, pump to carb SS lines, and clip set for $150 from the Fine Lines a great price and the guys were real good to work with. I'd buy from them again.I also got some small items like clutch springs, a set of black 69 seats with very good headrests for $100, and a Hurst T handle!! all in all some good deals but a lot of junk too! Did see a pr of very good- not rechromed, rear bumpers for $100 each. I decided to wait and have mine rechromed for about $150-170 ea.
Gary
Old 08-27-2001, 01:20 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much??? (gtr1999)

origial 1968 am/fm radio, with convector: 90 bucks. and it works!
Old 08-27-2001, 03:53 PM
fireball
Racer

Steve - They weren't BRAND new, just new to me. I found the bumpers at CRP (Corvette Restoration Parts), I shopped around all day Fri to find the best deal, then went back Sat morn and they only had one set left. Funny thing is I later found a pair in the same excellent rechromed condition for $165 ea. Haha, that place was HUGE. All of the rechromers said they had a 4-6 week minimum turn-around, and were about the same price. I went for it.

69er - Glad you liked the guages, I'll post some pictures once I get the housing painted. Sounds like you scored on the dash pad. That's on my list too, but I will hold out a little longer.

MJ - maybe next year someone from the Forum will bring a golf cart we can all use!

Juliet - thanks for hooking me up with the Corvette Annapolis club, it was a great drive up with all of us together. Funny how the vette caravan kept growing as we got closer to Carlisle.

Chris (69L71) - you take the cake for puchases from what I can see!

GTR - how did you get those brake lines home? Aren't a couple of those sections long?

Ahhh... nothing like new parts to play with!
Old 08-27-2001, 04:04 PM
RayCE
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought a set of seats from Al Kock, for my 82 collector. Leather on foam $750. Could not pass on the price. And, Original low beam head lights. 50.00 a pair.
Great show, planning for next year already.......
Old 08-27-2001, 04:04 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Fireball - yes the lines are long but I had my S10 truck, not the vette!
Gary
Old 08-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Fireball,

Nice to meet you Saturday afternoon

I bought a repro radio/guage bezel for 119. ( mine was cut for a big crappy radio)
the PUSH button that goes in the bezel for 12. repro
and a LIGHTS bezel original for 5.

Not too much but this was my first show and the kids were kinda bored.. Not this kid though!!
:D

Chris
Old 08-27-2001, 04:55 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Default Re: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much??? (Clink69)

I scored a sweet center grill for my 73. I paid $80, which I thought wasn't too bad considering how hard they are to find period, let alone for a decent price under a hundred skins. The same guy was selling NOS ones for $180!

I also shot the reference photos and bought the parts to convert my 73 sealed back window to a 68-72 style removable back window. I spent $135 for parts in a deal which included the rear window, 3 latch handles ( one was a nice 68 version, the other 2 were not so nice) the two bottom peg plates, the latch handle garnish moildings, 1 roof interior panel, and 2 other sweet latch handles I bought else where for a buck a piece.

I was told the conversion is very simple, and from thre checking I did on 2 body shells for comparison. I think it should only take about 3 hours to install and adjust for easy operation. I am considering doing a step by step photo tech article on the conversion if anyone is interested in doing the computer posting end of the article.

My Vette was the only one I noticed that was in parking area that was in gel coat. We affectionalely refer to the car as "Rat Vette" in reference to the West coast "Rat Rod" beater style rod movement that is coming prominent.

Good to be back on the forum, but the first day of school wore me out hard.
Time to go for a cruise in my "Rat Vette."
Class dismissed
Teach
Old 08-27-2001, 09:13 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

What did I buy?

1. Gas - $150.00 :bb (includes 3 quarts of that "wish it was more concentrated" tetra-ethyl lead stuff)

2. Bottled water - $25.00

3. 1963-67 vented gas cap - $28.00

4. Cheap wheel center cap that fell off on the way up - $10.00

5. Meeting some of you forum guys (69er, Clem, Paul B.) - Priceless :D

--- And for everything else, there's mastercard :smash:

Seriously, it was great meeting you. But my wife and I are were both a little shy around you "old guys" :D (I was the young punk with long hair and "Bauza" cigar baseball cap)
Old 08-27-2001, 10:10 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much??? (thejaf)

Hey Fireball; It was nice meeting you and the other guys, I left a few bucks there on Friday and Sat.
I bought new emblems for the 73, NOS gas tank sending unit, door handles, outside mirror. I found a very nice set of black seat belts for $125. the only problem is I need oxblood red ones. maybe I will get them rewebbed. Total $ spent 500. Craig
Old 08-28-2001, 07:23 AM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

I bought a used rear cargo shade for $20, a VERY used steering wheel (for a core charge) for $15 , new front grills for $39.65 each & an NOS inside Rear View Mirror for $40 for my 82. My wife got a "like new" console cover for her 85 in the correct color for $50. We were happy with our purchases UNTIL we had to pack the 82 for the ride home. That rear shade is awfully long!!!

Get notified of new replies

To What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much???

Quick Reply: What did you buy in Carlisle and for how much???