C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sidepipes questions

Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Chilli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sidepipes questions

I'm starting to consider sidepipes for my '79, whether I decide to put the 454 in 'er or find a small block instead. I've got a few questions;

1. How hard is it to install sidepipe exhaust (I assume small block is easier)? Does it having mounting points anywhere other than the obvious header to exhaust port locations?
2. Does sidepipe exhuast eliminate most of the C3's notorious interior heat?
3. Is there a BB sidepipe set up that isn't TOO loud? ...I don't want to draw too much attention to the fact I'm not using cats.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilli
Not on my '79...hot day, no AC = hot car
Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1. Mounts with header bolts to exhaust ports, usually 16 bolts per side. Depending on what type of sidepipes your talking, hooker mounts also to the frame via two "L" brackets and mounting hardware. These holes in the frame are already there.
#2. Not sure about heat as I have not driven my car yet. I assume it reduces undercar heat by a good amount except that your headers are still running near your feet and out, not under the length of the car.
I will be installing a spray heat insulation in the doors to reduce heat entering the car thru the door sills. I also have the hooker setup ceramic coated from jethot to cut down on heat. $1200 shipped includes headers and 4" pipes w/ coating.
#3. Running STS turbo baffles fully capped, this gives a nice sound. Do a search on here, you'll find sound clips and videos. If they are too loud you could stuff brillow pads or insert a sound reducer from summit.
Do a search for sidepipes and you should find a bunch of other muffler options that may suit your needs better.
Good luck
-B
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by Chilli
1. How hard is it to install sidepipe exhaust (I assume small block is easier)? Does it having mounting points anywhere other than the obvious header to exhaust port locations?
3. Is there a BB sidepipe set up that isn't TOO loud? ...I don't want to draw too much attention to the fact I'm not using cats.
Sidepipe mounting usually isn't too difficult depending upon the sidepipes mounting configuration. If you have full length headers you will have to loop the exhaust back to attach to the inlets. Stock manifolds or shorty headers will make this part of the task more straight forward.

Can't help you w/the BB noise questions but when I put sidepipes on my 75 SB, it's not too loud until you step on it. Then it is.

And while I believe the interior heat factor was slightly reduced, it's still hot on a hot day. Goes w/the territory I suppose.

Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Terrordome
Instructor

I have sidepipes on my 74 454 and to answer your question about undercarriage heat....it does elimate it. I don't have anything fancy, they are just stock 69 pipes running out of Heddmans. Noise is no issue until you step on it.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only problem installing the hooker super competion side-exhaust headers (I need an abbrevation for that one ) on my '79 (SB) were the bodymounts. They were in such bad shape, the shop had to use shims to raise the body and get more ground clearance.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This article shows you what's involved.
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/4680/
Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Chilli
Instructor

Thanks, guys! It doesn't look TOO hard to install from the Corvette Fever article; especially since my a/c compressor is already gone.

Get notified of new replies

To sidepipes questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sidepipes questions