C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (mboterashv)

OK, only relevant question is "why are you here?" Doubt you will win any converts here. So, angain, "why are you here?"
Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:
"8) the right side mirror was on the car when it left, and must have been torn off during unloading."

Torn off during unloading???? - Like it's no big deal, right? :mad

First of all, I suggest you get a clue in customer service - always take care of the customer.
Secondly, If you are dealing with large amounts of other peoples money, you need to rethink your Standard Operating Proceedures
Like getting off your butt & video recording the loading procedure, ENSURING all documentation is correct & complete, & making sure the truck driver has some idea what he has & where he is going. The driver should also be keeping you updated on his location daily, any unscheduled stops.
If you were to take these steps (cover your a**) from the begining, this would have not esclaided to the point it is now.

I hope you can use this as a major learing experience.

[Modified by 71coupe, 12:20 PM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 04:02 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (tworottiedogs)

replaced carpet, must have been 25 years ago;
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :yesnod: :yesnod: :jester

that was to funny. I know this is a serious matter and all, but Im still laughin about that...

Daniel
Old 08-30-2001, 04:10 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not going to side with either party. However, I want to share my .02.

This story is a perfect example of "buyer beware", and you get what you pay for.

It does not matter if you believe either party, what does matter that doing business with large sums of money long distance can get pretty ugly. I know people that buy new cars and only after they get them home start finding flaws with the factory finish, fit, quality. What I consider to be perfect is not always your definition of perfect.

I say, go see the vehicle in person, drive it, kick the tires. Otherwise, it is difficult to complain later.

The problem here started with the delay in shipping/receiving of the vehicle. After that point, the seller could have plated it in gold, but the buyer is never going to be happy. I don't blame the buyer for not being happy.

There is really no good way to fix this situation. Everybody should just lick thier wounds and go seperate ways. The problem is, legally both parties may have claims against each other now. The buyer may attempt to sue the seller for misrepresenting the car. The seller my sue for the personal injury of libel and slander. In either case, both parties still have much to lose if they don't find a way to work this out.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:15 PM
tdellaringa
Pro

I'd like to chime in here since I have actually sold 2 vehicles and a boat on eBay myself.

As someone else mentioned, I too have all positive comments, and one line is more than sufficient. There is one word that all of this comes down to:

HONESTY.

Selling both my cars on eBay was simple. I took a bunch of photos, I went over each car with a fine eye, and I listed every SINGLE solitary thing, in DETAIL about each car. I left NOTHING out. Then, when I actually dealt with the buyers, honest a clear communication made the transaction simple to complete.

mboterashv, it seems like you have a problem with both honesty and communication. While many people thing its crazy to buy a car on the internet - many people are very comfortable with it. But here is the thing, you are putting all of your trust in the person listing the item.

It appears that this person simply is not trustworthy. Compound the fact that after there was a problem the seller was NOT helpful or honest at all, until the authorities stepped in.

There is nothing worse than telling lies, except trying to cover up your lie with yet more lies. mboterashv, you need to admit you made some serious mistakes, that you were not forthright and honest, and repent of the way you deal with people, its as simple as that.

Because I presented my vehicles TRULY as they were with ALL the information up front, I had 3 very happy customers. Frankly, it was very very easy.

Your story (:bs) is full of holes, and full of a person who seeks to justify himself when the FACTS clearly state otherwise. Here's hoping you don't rip anyone else off.

Tom
Old 08-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (69Myway)

69MyWay - looking at your pictures in your signature, please tell us you bought the Vette in the middle picture off ebay - "Not in excellent condition"
:lol:
Old 08-30-2001, 04:17 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One major point that the seller keeps leaving out is that my shipper didn't have the car for the thirty ++ days. Some unknown shipping company came a got it.

He metions the bill of laden. That would be nice to have but he claims to have lost it.

The only good feedback from a car sale, that I have seen, is for a car that he is selling again. Figure that out???

Put him and I on Judge Judy and see what happens. :confused:
Old 08-30-2001, 04:21 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

she'd call you both stupid, and be really mean, then pretend to side with one of you just to be like 'I don't liek you'...then when its all over and done with, she would give you the win, but instead of the $5,000 lawsuit, you'd only get like $50......oh ya, and you'd both be humiliated....judge judy doesn't forget anyone . Right or Wrong your gonna get yelled at

Dan
Old 08-30-2001, 04:22 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (daniel77350)

:bs :bs :bs

Wow, what a tangled web you've weaved. YOU sold the car. YOU had unearned revenue in your possession. YOU were responsible for completing both sides of the ledger.

I think tworottiedogs is being light on you.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:23 PM
robert kirk
Racer

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (69Myway)

blaming the shipping company for all this is a load of crap. i have sent cars to cal, ny, and sent one to germany a year later sent it back to texas. no problems not a dent or scratch. they do this for a living and are very carefull. i am sure once and a while something will happen but that is not the norm. you mislead buyers and then have no customer support. for a car to sit 2 weeks with a shipper is your falt. all you had to do was call and they could have told you where the car was. they did not pick up this car with out a paper trail. they did not show up one day and load this car with out paper work tracking # or a sig. your sorry butt should be out of business. robert
Old 08-30-2001, 04:44 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (robert kirk)

The bottom line is either he or his employees dropped the ball big time on this transaction. He does not come across as crooked, just irresponsible. As far as I am concerned, he is liable for any and all costs in locating this car as it was ALL his responsibility to see it was picked up properly. After he pays those costs he can come looking for some reconciliation from us.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (ZD75blue)

I am coming in at the end of this, and dont really have a clue what is going on. But I do know this--
WHO WOULD BUY A CAR OVER THE INTERNET!!!
That is stupid... seriously.... they have autotraders and poopie for a reason... bidding on e-bay for a car is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life.

Everyone needs to SEE THE CAR BEFORE THEY BUY IT! Then they don't have any complaints.

Call me old fashioned, but I dont EVER trust anyone but myself, so I see it for person. Period.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:46 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND!

I don't know guys... I went back and read the description the seller posted on the Vette. If you read close, you will never be able to pin down an unfalse statement on the condition of any of the components. Was he slick, was he savvy of communication and false representation ... maybe, maybe not? If I remember right, Rottie set up the shipper, not the seller. When I found out the car was found, the first thing I thought was, poopie happens, even if it isn't explainable. You know how things happen in New York

Looking at the other cars the seller is selling, it appears most are rusted out junk ... but I live in New Mexico, and we don't have rusty cars, so it is hard to tell what used cars being sold in New York are like. In my opinion, this whole sale has come to an end. Did either one profit? I doubt it.

[Modified by The Wanderer, 1:52 PM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 04:57 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i think i will hold off on my purchase of a MAIL ORDER BRIDE. At first i thought it was a good idea, especially since she does not speak english. How could i go wrong? Well, thanks for the frank discussion. I guess you could say my headlight is hooked up, but will it pop up when i see her? :yesnod:
Old 08-30-2001, 05:34 PM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (blk2000c5)

Seems to me there is a lot of "slick sales talk" that only serves to reinforce my opinion of any used card salesman. Now before you bash me for that statement, I sold used cars once upon a time and I know the lingo. You don't necessarily lie but you don't always tell the whole truth.

Lesson learned - NEVER buy any car without inspection, either personally or via a reputable source that you know and trust.

For the seller of this obvious "problem car" I think you will not have any sales via the internet from forum members. I also understand you want to make your point but you are definitely in the 1 step forward 8 steps back mode each time you make another comment. Man - let it die.

As a last comment from me - the 25 year old carpet reply was indeed funny

STW
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-30-2001, 05:42 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (tdellaringa)

I have also sold a couple of cars over the internet. Both were Porsche 928S4's. Both of the new owners still email me on a regular basis to give me updates. They are both very happy. One was sold to a guy in Washington. He flew in and drove it home in 4 days. He has a website documenting it from purchase to now. http://www.928s4.com/index.html

The other was sold to a guy in Iowa. He too, flew in and made it home over night.

I was very upfront and I guess that is why I am not in sales. I am too honest but I also hold others to that standard. When I am lied to, I take it very personal and with a bad Irish temper it is sometimes harder to control. Over the past two months, I found it difficult to handle this with restraint. I almost took a few late-night runs to NY but I held back.

I am going to bight the bullet on this in the end but will I make it easy for him to do this to others? NO :mad

Ok, off my soapbox.... for now.

Mike
Old 08-30-2001, 05:44 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

That was "bite the bullet" not "bight"

I need spellcheck.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To RE: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND!

Old 08-30-2001, 06:53 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Alright, now it’s my turn. By the way, I don’t plan on defending either party but…

To the seller: regardless of your opinion of the condition of the vehicle, it seems to me that you are in the business of ripping people off. In both cases you have posted obviously misleading/inaccurate information about the vehicles. In both cases, you have had “shipping problems”. In both cases you have had unsatisfied customers. Either the entire world is in on a conspiracy against you, or you’re bad apple that gets off on ripping people off. I hope you rot in eBay hell!

To the buyer and all of my fellow forum members: I am only saying this because I HATE to here about sad stories like this, but the fact remains that making major purchases on the Internet is like playing with fire. Although, I can’t tell you how invaluable the Internet is as a tool, it is also a playground for crooks. Where else can you sell something and collect full payment without ever speaking a word to the buyer or even releasing the merchandise. I’m only 27, but I’m very old fashioned when it comes to making major purchases. If I’m going to buy a car, I want to see the salesman and look him in the eye when he tells me about the flaws. Body language speaks a thousand words when someone is being dishonest. I also want to be able to shake the hand of an honest businessman as I happily drive off into the sunset with my new purchase.

One thing that I don’t understand is that I thought buyers and sellers get “rated” to help protect one another from this very problem. I’ve never purchased anything on the eBay, but isn’t that how it works? If so, why would the buyer make this purchase after viewing all the previous bad experiences of others? Looks like the buyer checked references a little too late.

I’m sorry to the buyer for having to go through this, but sometimes lessons are very painful.
Old 08-30-2001, 07:07 PM
Kloppy80
Advanced

How about this:

"mobterashv" - We cheat the other guy, and pass the savings on to you!
Old 08-30-2001, 07:26 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: LOST OR STOLEN 71 CORVETTE 454 HAS BEEN FOUND! (Kloppy80)

To heck with Judge Judy, Judge Mills Lane is the man!!!!
OK, isn't it true the seller had no documentation of the car being picked up after it supposedly left his hands? That is pointing to him.

If he did have documents at that point why did't he send them to the buyer, immediatley.

Two Rottie, DO NOT absorb your legal fees. Someone owes you that. You may have to sue the seller, and then he turn around and sue the shipper, as I hear thats how our system works. But you are responsible for your choice in shipping. So you should be able to go directly to them, if the seller can prove the vehicle was picked up at that point.