C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach runs backwards!

Old 09-02-2001, 02:06 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tach runs backwards!

Went for a drive on Thursday and 1/2 block away from the house, the vette just quit. Pushed it back home ( how embarrassing!!!) and figured out the ignition module (HEI Distributor) when out. Replaced the module and tuned the car and now the Tach (electronic, 75 and up) now works slightly but runs backwards.

It hasn't worked since I bought the car almost two years ago. But now neddle starts about straight down ( right over the letters RPM on tach) and when engine revs to shifting speed (automatic), it will work its way backwards to about the 70 mark, as in 7000 rpms.

Anybody else ever experiense this? Is it the circuit board that it bad? I first thought that I hooked up the wire from the distributor to the filter backwards, as the plugs will allow you to do this. So I reversed it and it still does the same thing. I even bypassed the filter and still does the same thing.

Any advise? I am not looking forward to tearing apart the dash again for the circuit board to be replaced.
Old 09-02-2001, 03:10 PM
KrAzYSnIpEr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tach runs backwards! (Rich's75)

this is a long shot, but it worked for me, i had the dash out, and when i put it back together mine wouldnt work, it was stuck on 7 grand.

i just cut off the ignition, turned the needle back to 0, and turned the ignition back on, and it has worked fine ever since.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tach runs backwards!