C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the Eckler's chambered exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Hugh Jass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the Eckler's chambered exhaust system?

Time to choose an exhaust system for my 68 SB.

I think I'll use JBA headers and I'm interested in the Eckler's stainless steel chambered under car exhaust system.

Is it strange to not have a pair of mufflers back there? maybe it's the way to go.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 AM
71Sunflower
Advanced

I have the Mid America version of it. It may be the same. It is loud as hell and pops on decel. I will add mufflers, as it is really embarrassing, unless you are a 15 year old highschool kid.

George
Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

The chambered kits I saw on Eckler's site only have 2 mufflers, these will be very LOUD all from idle through the power range. If you want something a little quieter that will make a nice sound I suggest a 4 muffler system from Allen's Stainless Exhaust. The Chambered II system will sound like OEM side pipes from idle to 3,000 rpm. From 3,000 to full throttle it will sound very powerfull and slightly quieter than open exhaust.
I researched several manufacturers of these systems 2 years ago and this is the best all around sound that I found based on listening to them at shows. I am very happy with it. I've noticed lot of forum people are dissatisfied with some of these systems after purchase. They are not all the same. Mine does not pop on decelleration.
Some 4 muffler systems have 600 holes in the inner tubes, the Chambered II system has 1500 holes. The more holes, the quieter it is. Usually only the manufacturer knows this info, so don't expect Ecklers to know. I had a previous Vette with a 4 muffler system from Wilcox, I later found out that this was one of the 600 hole systems. My wife could hear me from .8 mile away pulling away from a traffic light. It sounded great, but was a bit obnoxious.
Also, keep in mind that '68-72 tail pipes (rear mufflers) are 2 1/2" inlet and 2" outlet. You could purchase '73 rear mufflers which are 2 1/2" inlet and 2 1/4" outlet. The outlet on '73's is at an angle, so you'll need to cut it off and reweld it straight. Stainless works has larger size extensions that will fit. Just a thought to increase the outlet size.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

We installed it on a 70 BB w/a new ZZ454 and the car sounds awesome. The pipes are loud but the chambered exhaust give it that throaty sound that I absolutely love.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:34 AM
rentalcop79
Intermediate

I have one. '79 L48 w/ 224/224 summit racing cam - sounds GOOD. I don't think it's THAT loud. Real rumpity at idle or part throttle, but really wails above 3000 rpm. Supposed to be really restictive though...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 PM
jimmygmartin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Mid Americas on my built 383, it was so load that it was embarising, so I added 2 Dynomax Race Only Bullets, now it sounds great,I get all kinds of compliments. I understand that they aren't to bad (loud) on a stock or mildly built engine.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like not having mufflers back there!------------------------------------------------
Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Originally Posted by 71Sunflower
I have the Mid America version of it. It may be the same. It is loud as hell and pops on decel. I will add mufflers, as it is really embarrassing, unless you are a 15 year old highschool kid.

George

whats wrong with being just turned 16 high school kid.......

ps... I want to run open headers through sidepipes on my stock l48(but will have a lunati vodoo 468 lift cam on it once i get the headers, im waiting to install it but its in my room):o
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my 76 that is pretty much stock, except for a mild cam. I got plenty of compliments from the Corvette Club. It does sound like the side pipes, without the extra cost. However, I have always used the stock exhaust manifold. I will switching over to headers shortly and I am not sure how loud it will be then.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugh Jass
Time to choose an exhaust system for my 68 SB.

I think I'll use JBA headers and I'm interested in the Eckler's stainless steel chambered under car exhaust system.

Is it strange to not have a pair of mufflers back there? maybe it's the way to go.
A friend of mine went with them and found them to be to loud. If your looking for a sound that you can live with go with the 3 chamber Flow Masters or Magna Flows, AL.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has the Eckler's chambered exhaust system?

Quick Reply: Who has the Eckler's chambered exhaust system?