C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 03:20 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Good deal?

I'm looking at a 78 anniversary Vette. Its been repainted (poorly but with no cracks yet) dark blue over light blue and has the L48 engine. Its an auto and the AC works. Its lights are up so I asume there is a vaccume problem. The clock and cruise control do not work. The roof t-top need to be resealed. The car has new brakes but it needs an allignment.

I asked him what he wanted for it and he said that the bank would loan $12,000. I told him that I might consider paying that if it was pristine and the original color, but that it was going to cost me quite a bit to return it to a half way decent shape. He then said $7500 was as low as he would go.

I think thats too much. Maybe if it had an L82 and a manual transmission, but this car is fast in looks only.

What is this car worth? I'm thinking its worth maybe $5,000.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:24 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Good deal? (joecooool)

$7,500 does sound a bit high. I could see maybe going as high as $6k, but that would really be it.

The clock not working is normal. Very few do without being fixed. The vacuum problem for the headlights could be a complete pain to chase down. I don't know much about cruise control. Also, sounds like it might need a paint job. And if it's painted over the old paint like you say it is, it's going to need to be stripped...
Old 09-05-2001, 03:41 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cruise control was vaccum operated also however I'm not sure where it hooked into the system. You didn't say how many miles. As far as I'm concerned, small blocks are small blocks and a 78 is non-ECM so relatively easy to work on, but my concern would be mileage and Trailing Arms. If it's high mileage, you may need a TA re-build. How's the frame (especially around where the TA's bolt up). These can be mucho $$$$ to fix. I think you're in the ball park $5,000. $6,000 if you REALLY want the car.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:41 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he will be waiting a while for $7500. Come back in a month and offer him 5000 tops.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:51 PM
Koz

It doesn't sound like the car moves ya so do you really want it. If your looking for an L82 with a 4spd. then shop around cause even at $5,000 are you going to be happy? I bought my '80 for $8,500.. L48 with a 4spd. New paint, brakes, calipers and tires. I would have preferred the L82 but the 4spd is what caught my attention. Not too common in the 80's. That and her looks. I love the look of the '80s. Does the car have cahonies...yes.. big cahonies.. no.. but is it fun to drive.. you bet cha!

BTW.. in '78 there were only 3,385 cars build with a 4spd.. It all depends on what you want. If you don't really care then offer him the $5K and if he doesn't take it you won't feel like you lost something..
Old 09-05-2001, 03:57 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The bank won't go $12K despite what he thinks or what the Blue Book might say. Around these parts he could get the $7500. Check the VIN, the engine stamps, and the trim tag codes to know what you're looking at.

Get notified of new replies

To Good deal?

Quick Reply: Good deal?