C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air conditioned vs non on radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Vroomvroom
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioned vs non on radiator

Will have to buy a new radiator. Mine does not have a/c.. but I was wondering what differentiates the difference between a non ac and an ac radiator

Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the A/C radiators are really two radiators in one. A small section of the radiator is really a second separate radiator for the A/C. If you don't have A/C, you would be wasting a good chunk of cooling capacity by getting an A/C radiator...
Old 08-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

The difference was usually 3 row vs. 4 row, but not always. Generally when you have the A/C on the condensor will get hot and the condensor sits in front of the radiator. A 4 row radiator can remove more heat than a 3 row so the idea is to have better cooling capacity for when you have something that's going to make the air in front of the radiator even warmer. If you replace your radiator with a new aluminum "race" radiator you shouldn't have any problems with overheating while running the A/C.

Hope that explains it.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Z-man
I think the A/C radiators are really two radiators in one. A small section of the radiator is really a second separate radiator for the A/C. If you don't have A/C, you would be wasting a good chunk of cooling capacity by getting an A/C radiator...
The radiator doesn't have anything to do with the A/C. The A/C condensor is bolted to the front of the radiator support. Auto cars have a transmission cooler in the stock radiator, though.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Vroomvroom
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks!

Love the feedback. Thanks guys.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
mirrorfinishman
Instructor

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Auto cars have a transmission cooler in the stock radiator, though.
Automatic transmission cars do have a cooler built into the radiator. And the weather stripping pieces only surround the radiator on the top, bottom and drivers side. On the passenger side of the radiator there should be no weather stripping. That is because there is a vented opening where air is allowed to pass thru in order to cool the built in transmission cooler.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
The radiator doesn't have anything to do with the A/C. The A/C condensor is bolted to the front of the radiator support. Auto cars have a transmission cooler in the stock radiator, though.
Ahhh...that's what that is. I had always thought it was for the A/C. Hmmm...it seems that's a long way to run hoses from the transmission...

Get notified of new replies

To air conditioned vs non on radiator

Quick Reply: air conditioned vs non on radiator