C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake Light

Howdoo,
I'm thinking I'd like to run a 3rd brake light in the rear windscreen. Has anyone done this? If so, what type did you use and did it mount up ok?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saudivette
Howdoo,
I'm thinking I'd like to run a 3rd brake light in the rear windscreen. Has anyone done this? If so, what type did you use and did it mount up ok?

I did it, but since I have the interior out I can't show you how. I can maybe art it, but it'll be rough and fast.

It came with the car, but it's a common red-LED style with a sleek black housing. I think they can be found at Autozone and Oreilly...places like that.

It's a simple 1 wire hookup, tapping into the hot switched wire on the brake pedal switch. You can tap there or in the harness to the back if you know the color. Then just ground it to the body or chassis. I screwed mine up to the inside trim that runs across the back above the window. Easy install, and it looks great from behind.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

why bother with a third brake light?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z

They look cool, and are in fact an addition to the safety aspect.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:28 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
dont try to make it like a newer car. only mustangs will see it anyway
Old 09-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gator79
dont try to make it like a newer car. only mustangs will see it anyway

Hey, don't knock it. I've had this mounted and in use before. It really does look sweet, and adds to the entire rear-look of the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

ok, it's your car..................

me personally, I wouldn't add one to my C3.

Last edited by RPOZ4Z; 09-21-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

When I read the title I first thought he was going to do the third rear light like a bunch of C2 owners do.

If you REALLY want one, durango_boy's is probably the best bet.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saudivette
Howdoo,

It does look like he means on the butt of the car, but I missed that and thought he meant back window. Either way, I was VERY happy with how it turned out.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Putting another tail light in the butt would be pretty easy, I'd think. Just splice a wire off of another tail light's wire and cut a hole.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I thought about this once, and I do still from time to time...

Where the Corvette letter emblem sits on the butt, removing it, and cutting out the letters, and putting LED blocks behind it in red, so it's a 3rd tail light that reads CORVETTE, and lights when the headlights or markers are turned on.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one time you could buy a roof mounted 3rd brake light...they were kinda cool as they fit neatly on top of the roll bar.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I thought about this once, and I do still from time to time...

Where the Corvette letter emblem sits on the butt, removing it, and cutting out the letters, and putting LED blocks behind it in red, so it's a 3rd tail light that reads CORVETTE, and lights when the headlights or markers are turned on.
sounds kinda Ricey
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
sounds kinda Ricey

That's why I haven't done this yet. I wanted to make sure I could do it in a classy way, so that it went along with the looks of the rest of the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That's why I haven't done this yet. I wanted to make sure I could do it in a classy way, so that it went along with the looks of the rest of the car.
I'd stick with the thin bar light if you feel you must have a 3rd
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
I'd stick with the thin bar light if you feel you must have a 3rd

Well the CORVETTE light would have been a tail light only...but yeah, I will probably not ever give that project teh go ahead...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

It does look like he means on the butt of the car, but I missed that and thought he meant back window. Either way, I was VERY happy with how it turned out.
No no no, in the rear windscreen means in the back window!

Cmon guys, I'm living in a 3rd world country, where everyone's driving Jimmys, Blazers, Suburbans, Expeditions, Durangos, Explorers etc, by people who don't give a rats ar*e about using indicators, obeying red lights, stop signs, one way streets etc. People who take the wrong exit off the freeway then reverse back UP the exit, people who realise that they really wanted the park thay passed 300 yards ago and blissfully reverse against the flow of traffic on a 3/4/5 lane highway to get back to it. This is a country where I drive at over 100 mph every day just going to work, because I can. A country where you can fly past the police at that speed knowing that they really won't be bothered to pull you over as that would require effort. This is a country that doesn't have movie theaters, bowling alleys, bars, night clubs, drag racing, shooting ranges, NOTHING. They have "stay at home" OR go out on the highway and drive like a lunatic. This is a country where the eldest male in the household can drive a car, so, if dad's away on business and mum needs to go shopping, it's perfectly ok for her 12 year old son to fire up the Suburban and take the family shopping. This is a country where there is NO test for your driver's license, you just fill in a form and get one. This is a country where fuel is 16 cents a litre so no one is concerned about fuel economy. This is a country where they had police at major intersections 2 years ago, issuing PRIZES to people wearing seatbelts when the government first made it mandatory to wear them - of course, this was only for people in the front. For passengers in the rear, it was (and still IS) optional!!! Imagine cruising along at 120 mph and being passed by a mid 80's Caprice Classic with a small child (5, 6, 7 years old???) standing between his dad's legs, driving!!

All this (and more), and I'm driving a fibreglass car the size of a wheelbarrow.

Is it a bad thing to want some extra help in making sure that people see I'm stopping. RPOZ4Z, THIS is why I want to bother with a 3rd brake light. gator79, I'm not trying to make it a new car and it might sound "kinda Ricey" Jclgodale3, but I would really rather not become another statistic in the country that has the highest road death toll per capita in the world because some halfwit inbreed that was sitting on my tail at 100 mph and was writing a text on his mobile phone at the time, with either a finger up his nose or his 5 year old son on his lap, failed to notice I was braking because my standard brake lights were lower than his front bumper!

Durango_boy, could you narrow it down a bit for me please. We have chicken and rice here, we have gas stations, we have drive through ATM's but we don't have Autozone or Oreilly's. What ever I end up buying will be from an online dealer or eBay and it would sure be a lot easier being able to search for a name/model number than "3rd brake light". Type THAT into eBay and see if you don't lose the will to live...

I've been to the USA loads of times, I love the USA, love the ease of, well, everything, but some of us are in the butthole of NOWHERE and don't have it as easy as dropping into the local car parts place for whatever we need. It took me 3 hours of trawling around the shops to find some 14 and 16 gauge wire just to make a harness when I modded my headlights!!

Some POSITIVE feedback would sure be appreciated

Thanks, if I haven't totally alienated everone...

Get notified of new replies

To Third Brake Light

Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Hey man, sorry for the vague answer. I will do a little checking through various sources and see if I can find one like I have. I like that it's small and easy to tuck up out of the way for the rear view.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Hey man, sorry for the vague answer. I will do a little checking through various sources and see if I can find one like I have. I like that it's small and easy to tuck up out of the way for the rear view.
Thanks mate, I really do appreciate it. Yours sounds exactly what I want - unobtrusive but does the job
Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Sounds like a JC Whitney item.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light