C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny problems :(

Old 09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tranny problems :(

So i took a ride down the highway today to go pick up some stuff at a store. On the way home i was merging onto the highway and when i shifted into third gear i heard a click click click clicking. I thought i was riding on one of those rumble strips. Put it in fourth and it was ok. Well when i got to the toll booth i heard the lovely noise for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. What can this be? I had bad synchros in my Nova but that car was popping out of gear and never made this kind of noise. It's almost like the gears aren't fully engaged or something. Would love to swap in a Keisler right now but don't have that kind of money.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

I'd bet on a bad throw out bearing without being able to listen to it.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Could be the throwout bearing but I would suspect the transmission. does it make the noise in 4th? generally a bad througout bearing if defective it will make noise in all gears.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
badnblk2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a broken tooth on the main cluster gear, I have heard this before ansd thats what it was.. Sure hope I am wrong..
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

i didn't notice it in 4th on the way home but i though i heard it a little bit coming down my road in 4th. Either way it is no where near as loud as the other 3. I might try and see if i can majke a video with sound tonight for a better diagnose.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

The power goes down through the cluster gear in all reduction gears. The power goes straight through from the input shaft right into the output shaft when in 4th gear. That makes the cluster gear suspect here.

Not too bad of a fix IMHO. The cluster gear shaft is driven out and the replacement cluster gear goes back in. You have to repack the needle bearings but this is not the hardest thing in the world to overhaul. I don't think you will need to dissasemble the main shaft assy if the driven gears are OK. Just remove the assy along with the midplate if my memory serves me right. Parts should be pretty easy to find.

-Mark.

Last edited by stingr69; 09-28-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 AM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

do you need any kind of special tools to do this? Are their any kind of manuals that show how to do the rebuild?...and by show i mean with lots of pictures lol.
how do i identify what transmission it is? I assume it is a Muncie but didn't they also start using Borg Warners in 74?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

ok here is an update......i moved the car out of the garage today. With it sitting in neutral and th eclutch released it sits there and makes the noise. I push the clutch in and th enoie goes away. It is still there in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Not noticeable in 4th.....at least moving about 10 feet into the garage......could i be lucky and this is a throw out bearing? I would think that if it was the trannsmission it would not do anything in neutral...help
Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by IMA66/74
ok here is an update......i moved the car out of the garage today. With it sitting in neutral and th eclutch released it sits there and makes the noise. I push the clutch in and th enoie goes away. It is still there in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Not noticeable in 4th.....at least moving about 10 feet into the garage......could i be lucky and this is a throw out bearing? I would think that if it was the trannsmission it would not do anything in neutral...help
Not the throwout bearing.

The clutch disk turns the input shaft. If you can push the clutch pedal down and put it in a gear all the noise will gow away when sitting still. All gears are stopped at that point and nothing in the tranny is moving.

If you take the car out of gear (neutral) and release the clutch pedal you will still hear the noise when the engine is running because the input shaft will be spinning and the cluster gear will be spinning and all the forward gears will be free wheel spinning on the output shaft. Most of the stuff is just spinning around inside the tranny with the car in neutral. Put it in a gear while standing still and nothing moves as the whole thing is now tied to the driveshaft.

I think Paul at 5 speeds has a good video on tranny overhaul. Might be worth a look.

-Mark.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:59 AM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

naturally well looks like i'll have to pull her out and start tinkering. At least we have heat in the garage now where can i get a hold of this video?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:58 AM
5speeds
Racer

You have probably a broken tooth on the maindrive section. Always replace both gears. The broken tooth will be rapping against the mating gear and usually crack or bend them.

Typical of the age problems related to Muncies. In my opinion I prefer sticking in all new gears. They are relatively cheap.

Usually changing the two gears my work, but who knows when 1st , 2nd or 3rd may let go. Also noise issues start to happen with older and new gears, or two different used gears.

I don't rebuild Muncies anymore, because with the volume of transmissions we were doing I started to see more and more problems like this happen. When we started doing the new Muncies we stopped doing rebuilds. With the internet and Ebay, everyone is selling or offering a rebuilding service. Most rebuilders do a good job. The problem with all this internet crap is that it is confusing for the customer to compare apples to apples. I started even seeing it at the shows.

By confusion I mean, someone can have a cheaper rebuild than another, but be less expensive than a USED one, or perhaps just because they say it is rebuild with 60 new parts and the other guy says 150 parts , but the one with 150 parts is cheaper. Who is using Italian Gears, Taiwanese gears, Indian Gears, rebuilds with bearings made in Romania... on an on.

I decided it was better just to build new units with a 1 year warranty so the customer at least knows what page he is on.

Paul
Live BenchCam!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:29 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like it's time for that Keisler 5-speed upgrade
Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard clicking when a U-joint is going after throwing a pin....might want to check the U's before pulling the tranny...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:36 PM
0Robert Hall
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BarryK
sounds like it's time for that Keisler 5-speed upgrade

Capital idea ol' man

Seriously, If you're going to replace or overhaul the tranny anyway, installing a brand new one WITH overdrive sure does make sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny problems :(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny problems :(