C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Gasser Vettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadrajet HELP

What would cause a Q-Jet to start running RICH for unknown reason? Car sounds like an old john deer tractor and 1500 rpm ( Choke is not stuck).
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Check vacuum lines. God bless, Sensei
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Gasser Vettes
Instructor

Originally Posted by a1sensei
Check vacuum lines. God bless, Sensei
That would make it run lean wouldn't it?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Power piston is probably jammed, that'd be my guess, maybe the float level?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Zzap!!
Intermediate

When I got my '76 it "ran ok" with an odd pulsation between fast and a slow idle just sit'n there. Once I got it home I tried time after time to dial in that Q-jet to where it'd stop running so dang rich and inconsistant to where the exhaust wouldn't tear up my eyes so bad. In the process I found it had not just one but several vaccume leaks at various points throughout the vacinity of the carb... to include the carb gasket itself. Ultimately, I took the carb off and stripped it as much as I dared and found that there were many assembly screws and nuts that were exceptionally loose that held the carb together. After basic cleaning and retightening then reinstalling the carb on a new gasket and replacing any and all hoses that were leaking air, then resetting the fuel and air set screws to something more acceptable I found a tremendous new life now exibiting from that motor. I'm surprised the dang thing ran at all beforehand.

A quick way to detect for air leaks is cover the exposed carb with a clean rag at idle then spray WD-40 or brake cleaner around any carburetor hose or carb connection to the head itself. A significant idle increase will occur when the spray is sucked into the carb at that leak. It may be possible that someone tuned that Q-Jet of yours like they did on mine, to compensate for vaccume leaks they didn't know (of didn't give a rip about) the thing had. If the leak varied any, say became less for some reason, then immediately the carb would be running excessively rich and sloppy. That's what was happening with mine... I'd get something dialed in that seemed to make things better, then reved the motor once or twice and it'd be back to running crappy again and needing more adjustment one way or another. Up to that point I was getting maybe 10 to 12 mpg. I now get 19 - 21 mpg depending upon terrain and driving habits.

I'd look into vaccume leaks outside and "inside" the carburetor, would be my guess.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a number of great QJet articles here.

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Intake

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Tuning

Get notified of new replies

To Quadrajet HELP

Quick Reply: Quadrajet HELP