C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 Intake and Carb Recommendations

Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZZ4 Intake and Carb Recommendations

What are the possibilities with a ZZ4 and stock hood in a 77?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Binnie77,
I'm using my stock quadra-jet that I rebuilt with the original air cleaner, it runs good, I'm getting 19.5 miles per gallon on long trips. I'm using the ZZ4 intake.
Everything fits under the hood...
Old 10-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

On my 76, I'm running a ZZ4 with a 1/2" 4-hole spacer, 650 Demon carb, and a Moroso drop base air cleaner. This setup is a really tight fit with less ~1/8" clearance to the hood. But if could drop the 1/2" spacer for more room. I couldn't make the stock air cleaner work with this setup.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:13 AM
thrilher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a '79 with ZZ4 and 650 speed demon. It seems like a nice setup although all is new. I had a 750 on it initially as GM said <quote> the ZZ4 was designed around 780cfm carb. It had an awesome holeshot with that carb. Motor isn't broke in so i'm still feelin it out. I did do the math on the motor and I came up with 595cfm as being the proper size carb for this particular motor. Someone else did the math told me it called for 625cfm. I like to keep my carb & motor close to keep from dumping unnecessary fuel etc. If your oil gets dirty fast it's not right.That is why i got rid of the 750. My oil got dirty right off with the 750. I admit my tuning skills are nil when it comes to carbs. I did learn alot from my barry grant about tuning because it came with a video & paper instructions. I kinda wish i could use my newfound tuning skills on the 750 and see how much i could improve its tunage to the motor but it was sold before i took it off the motor. Barry Grant shows you in detail how to adjust everything exterior of the carb before installing it, from butterfly gap to bowl adjustment to accelarator pump . I've gouged into it on take off and while i'm completely happy i just felt the 750 came off alot stronger from the amount of spin of the tires and the "right now" response. 750 accelerator pump shoots two streams size of a pencil lead where the 650 isn't much more than a dribble,i think that's where the difference is.I see people here with both maybe they can shed some light on some of this.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have any trouble with my "78" L-82 hood and my ZZ4 fastburn w/Holly 750 double pumper and K&N 14"x3"

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 Intake and Carb Recommendations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZZ4 Intake and Carb Recommendations