C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 09:25 AM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS

I've desided on the 282S. Will the stock valve springs, which I just replaced this year, work with this cam?
The lift is just a bit more than the LT-1 cam I was running.
Also, will the stock stamped rockers work too, they were replaced at the same time?
Just trying to save a buck if possible.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:59 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS (BLT-71)

This is just my personal opinion. Once your getting into solid or roller cams your beating the crud out of the valve train. So you want to get the best and lightest stuff you can. Chromemolly roller tips and chromemoly retainers with 10 degree locks screw in studs and guide plates.

Max spring lift is determined by a couple of things - coil bind and what type of guide seals.

I would not run a solid cam with less than 120# of closed seat pressure

Old 09-20-2001, 01:09 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS (gkull)

The stock LT-1 springs may work, but it may be pushing it. The seat presure is only 85lbs and that cam requires 110. I cheated with mine and stuck with the ones that came on my S/R torquer heads. These have only 100lbs seat pressure, but are good for up to .560" lift and have open pressure equal to what comp cams recommended. I don't plan on reving mine past 5800-6000 so they should work well for me. If you want to rev more than that, you would be better off doing what is necessary to ensure that you will not have valve float.
The used stock rockers will work fine, but consider switching to roller tips or full rollers now or in the near future. The stock rocker ratio can vary by quite a bit, costing you power. Besides, the aftermarket ones just look damn cool :D

Tom
Old 09-20-2001, 04:02 PM
Demar
Pro

Default Re: More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS (BLT-71)

Gee Brian.....you mean it's actually going to see some street time before winter????

Hope it's going well.....
Old 09-20-2001, 11:15 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS (Demar)

I talked with the machine shop too and they confirm the stock springs will not stand up to the more aggresive cam so I'll be ordering a set of roller tips.
By the way Demar, drop me a line or is you are near Columbus stop in and see the new house & Garage.
Thanks everyone for the help and input on the motor.

Get notified of new replies

To More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS

Quick Reply: More Questions on 282S cam, PARTS