C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bouncing fluctuating Speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bouncing fluctuating Speedo?

My speedo bounces around at speeds up to around 40. Havent gone any faster than about 40 or so. On my British cars, tightening the drive gear on the tranny usually cured the problem. Will the same work in my Chevy? Car has sat for 18 yrs or so, so the cable is probably rusty or out of any lube. The odometer isnt working nor is the trip odometer.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rob
Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
icanfixitforyou
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things come to mind here. Obviously something is binding up, then unloading, causing the speedometer needle to bounce around the way it does. You say that your odometer & trip odometer don't work, maybe they are bound up, this would cause the speedometer cable to wind up like a rubber band, then spin quickly as it overcomes the resistance of the odometer. The other possibilty is the speedometer cable itself, they do tend to get old and bind up inside of their housings. The speedometer cable also has the potential to melt against the exhaust system, also causing it to bind up and/or fail altogether. Does your car have cruise control? The transducer might be bad on it, also causing a binding situation.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Thanks, I'll pull the cable tomorrow and take a look.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

To pull the cable you have to start in the dash at the speedometer cluster. Not an easy task.
My advice for a quick evaluation is to pull the cable off the tranny, raise the cable up into the engine bay and spray something like WD40 or Blaster penetrating oil into the housing and let it soak in the cable and housing, then lower and drain and repeat. I have done this before on bouncing speedos before, and the cable was dry and full of dirt and dust. So after flushinfg out the cable the speedo stoped bouncing and chirping.
beat of luck...Mark
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Sounds like a MUCH BETTER first step...you never know!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the above lubricating the cable may cure the bouncing speedo. But I doubt that it will do anything for the odometer and trip. That problem lies in the speedo head. There is a plastic gear that is worn or stripped of it teeth.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

I agree, but the trip odometer reset **** is frozen, well it'll move ever so slightly, but wont turn freely. I will probably end up taking the speedo head out and taking a look...

Get notified of new replies

To Bouncing fluctuating Speedo?

Quick Reply: Bouncing fluctuating Speedo?