C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey odd question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Hey odd question

Say a young dumb 22 year old could get his hands on a C3, that save for a broken rear axle, and and engine that hasnt run in 3 years, is in decent shape. could said dumb kid put a Ls2 in and replace the axle, if so what would be involved $$$ wise. I'm sure the engine would fit, it would just need modified mounts, how about the tranny? Any one ever hear of this being done?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default LS2 in C3??????????

G'day,
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Forum. Before you get swamped with replies, let me advise you that, while it is not impossible to fit an LS2 into a C3, it is a heck of a lot more involved than just "changing the engine mounts". That would be the first of several non-reversible modifications you'll have to make. You will rue the day you started if you are a newbie to C3s. There are so many things to consider before you pick up the first tool.

Is it a genuine "numbers matching" car? Has it any rare options that might increase its value? Is it close to or in "Survivor" condition?

If it is, then you will decrease its value considerably by cutting it up and changing engine mounts, etc. If you must have more power, then why not pull the engine and store it carefully, then drop in a crate engine, maybe a 383, and you'll have around 400 hp. You will then have the power you want, but will retain the originality by not cutting it and keeping the original engine.

Get plenty of opinions before you do anything, but in the meantime, drive it and enjoy it.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 12-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
G'day,
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Forum. Before you get swamped with replies, let me advise you that, while it is not impossible to fit an LS2 into a C3, it is a heck of a lot more involved than just "changing the engine mounts". That would be the first of several non-reversible modifications you'll have to make. You will rue the day you started if you are a newbie to C3s. There are so many things to consider before you pick up the first tool.

Is it a genuine "numbers matching" car? Has it any rare options that might increase its value? Is it close to or in "Survivor" condition?

If it is, then you will decrease its value considerably by cutting it up and changing engine mounts, etc. If you must have more power, then why not pull the engine and store it carefully, then drop in a crate engine, maybe a 383, and you'll have around 400 hp. You will then have the power you want, but will retain the originality by not cutting it and keeping the original engine.

Get plenty of opinions before you do anything, but in the meantime, drive it and enjoy it.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Thank you for your reply.

I haven’t bought the car, I'm in Iraq. The story is this, I have a friend who has a 1980 sitting in a barn in her parents yard when it has been since she wrecked it in 2000 drunk driving. It's in mid California and over a cover. I told her it breaks my heart to think of the car just sitting there, so I told her I'd take it off her hands. In all reality if I do pay anything for the car it won’t be much. I love C3's so considering I’ll be getting it for next to nothing I don’t mind spending some cash. I will transport to car to Arizona and put it my parents garage, and work on it on the weekends. Thanks for info about the Ls2 swap. It's not so much the power I just want an EFI engine I heard that 80 (or 79?) was the first year for EFI but it was very good my knowledge on the subject is limited as I wasn’t even born yet. Hell I might trailer it to a shop and get a quote for getting it road worthy if it's less then 2k I'll just fix it and drive it home. I'll check into it beeing number matching, as far as I know it's completely stock. I'll look more into it. I hate to hear about great cars just sitting and rusting away.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe0121
Thank you for your reply.

I haven’t bought the car, I'm in Iraq. The story is this, I have a friend who has a 1980 sitting in a barn in her parents yard when it has been since she wrecked it in 2000 drunk driving. It's in mid California and over a cover. I told her it breaks my heart to think of the car just sitting there, so I told her I'd take it off her hands. In all reality if I do pay anything for the car it won’t be much. I love C3's so considering I’ll be getting it for next to nothing I don’t mind spending some cash. I will transport to car to Arizona and put it my parents garage, and work on it on the weekends. Thanks for info about the Ls2 swap. It's not so much the power I just want an EFI engine I heard that 80 (or 79?) was the first year for EFI but it was very good my knowledge on the subject is limited as I wasn’t even born yet. Hell I might trailer it to a shop and get a quote for getting it road worthy if it's less then 2k I'll just fix it and drive it home. I'll check into it beeing number matching, as far as I know it's completely stock. I'll look more into it. I hate to hear about great cars just sitting and rusting away.
Okay, Let's start with knowledge. 1980 is the year with the least power.1982 is the year EFI came out, and the last year of the C-3. How much is cheap? How wrecked is wrecked? It sounds like it COULD be worth it, and it could be HELL. Although being in Iraq surely is worse. Merry Christmas soldier. We all back you 100%. Birdman
Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Efi

well if its efi you want.To get some idea of cost.
Heres some nice plug and play engines.
http://www.musclecarengines.com/chev...%20engines.htm
Old 12-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Say a young dumb 22 year old could get his hands on a C3, that save for a broken rear axle, and and engine that hasnt run in 3 years, is in decent shape. could said dumb kid put a Ls2 in and replace the axle, if so what would be involved $$$ wise. ...

It's not so much the power I just want an EFI engine I heard that 80 (or 79?) was the first year for EFI but it was very good my knowledge on the subject is limited as I wasn’t even born yet. Hell I might trailer it to a shop and get a quote for getting it road worthy if it's less then 2k I'll just fix it and drive it home. I'll check into it beeing number matching, as far as I know it's completely stock. I'll look more into it. .
Corvettes are not recommended for dumb kids!!!
Don't let any dumb kids even drive it.

82 was first year for EFI & 85 up TPI was better, which if a shop is going to be working on it they should be familiar with since TPI was also used on Camaros & Firebirds. TPI could be added to the engine rather easily. Many have done it.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:03 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought an '80 because it was the last year without electronic anything in the engine management department. Keep-it-stupid-simple (KISS).

You might also want to consider rebuilding the existing engine and putting a EFI system on it like the Edelbrock system:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

You'll need headers too ... and true dual exhaust with 2 cats to keep emissions ready...and ...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:07 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

How about the Edelbrock or Holley fuel injection add ons?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryS
How about the Edelbrock or Holley fuel injection add ons?
They are better for someone who does his own work.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

When you get back,go talk with these guys..they are in Oceanside,Ca...

http://machinetechracing.com/files/index.php?id=16

There is another business that supplies LS1-LS2 engine packages near Oceanside,but I'll have to dig up their link..
Edit: Found them:These guys will work with you and provide info..

http://www.turnkeyengine.com/index.html

Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 12-24-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:24 PM
mkflanagan
Melting Slicks

I hope you have alot of $$$$$
Old 12-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rihwoods
When you get back,go talk with these guys..they are in Oceanside,Ca...

http://machinetechracing.com/files/index.php?id=16

There is another business that supplies LS1-LS2 engine packages near Oceanside,but I'll have to dig up their link..
Edit: Found them:These guys will work with you and provide info..

http://www.turnkeyengine.com/index.html

Rich
Thanks for the links
Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the links
Your welcome...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Jud Chapin