C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a transmission rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Clyde Vick (703) 444-4550, located in Northern, Va.
He rebuilt my Muncie and did a great job, actually met him at Carlisle about 10 years ago, he rebuilt my M-21 last year.
Super guy to work with.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

New, used, rebuilt ... rebuild yours ... all true race grade.

http://www.texracing.com/

info@texracing.com
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If you can rebuild an engine you can rebuild a Muncie. I use a press and have one of those wrenches for the nut. Paul C - www.5speeds.com has/had a great video setup for the DIY to rebuild a tranny at home with hand tools.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
I am in the process of rebuilding my t-10 4-speed.....I got a manual for free from a forum member (.pdf) I found a rebuild kit for $199...includes gaskets, synchro rings (what I need), and a few other pieces...I will eventually upgrade to a 6-speed, but for now my engine rebuild comes first....

Good luck

edit: I have been able to do everything so far with my (somewhat limited) tool box.
Could you send me that T10 rebuild PDF?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
5speeds
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom454
One.

The thin wrench used to tighten the large retaining nut.

This price is a little high-

http://www.riversidegear.com/categor...oduct-179.html

Kit will run about $125.
The same wrench is 29.95 HERE
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to pile on, but I rebuilt my "fresh" eBay M20 a few months ago using a PDF manual that I downloaded for $5.00. This is the third four-speed that I've rebuilt (the other two were Ford Toploaders). I have a clean garage, clean workbench, small cheapo parts washer (you can use Gunk instead) and lots of tools. I didn't need the flat wrench, but I do recall using a large set of snap ring pliers. The job went smoothly, my son and I took our time and did it in about six hours. Aside from the basic kit (about $150 which I now understand was probably too much) which included bearings, synchros, countershaft pin, rollers and gaskets I also replaced the 1-2 slider.It works bitchin'. It was kinda fun too.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Not to pile on, but I rebuilt my "fresh" eBay M20 a few months ago using a PDF manual that I downloaded for $5.00. This is the third four-speed that I've rebuilt (the other two were Ford Toploaders). I have a clean garage, clean workbench, small cheapo parts washer (you can use Gunk instead) and lots of tools. I didn't need the flat wrench, but I do recall using a large set of snap ring pliers. The job went smoothly, my son and I took our time and did it in about six hours. Aside from the basic kit (about $150 which I now understand was probably too much) which included bearings, synchros, countershaft pin, rollers and gaskets I also replaced the 1-2 slider.It works bitchin'. It was kinda fun too.

They are fun to play with.

I forgot about the snap ring pliers... That part can be done with screw drivers but I admit it's tough. I also use snap ring pliers though, and they need to be pretty heavy duty. The garden variety you find at autoparts stores (in general) aren't big/strong enough.

The nut needs to be pretty tight, and a standard wrench will not fit between the parts to reach the nut. An alternative is to use a chisel or screw driver to "persuade" the nut into being tight. That's the "old school" method (probably how the PDF said). After it's tight, it also needs to be staked so it won't come loose. Since it does get staked, it's considered a throw-away part during a rebuild, so it really doesn't matter how pretty it looks after it's tightened.

I didn't mention a press because the job can be done without one.... but a press helps.

So, technically, no special tools are absolutely required.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM
5speeds
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom454

They are fun to play with.

I forgot about the snap ring pliers... That part can be done with screw drivers but I admit it's tough. I also use snap ring pliers though, and they need to be pretty heavy duty.
Many of the tool vendors at car shows carry a great selection of snap ring pliers for a few dollars. I usually get mine at car shows. I buy something like 6 pairs this way I can grind a few to fit several applications. The last show at Moroso I picked up some good HD ones for 3 bucks each!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Paul
That was at their FL not CT location right?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 AM
5speeds
Racer

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Paul
That was at their FL not CT location right?
Yes Moroso Motorsports Park. But I actually scored stuff at Carlisle and Daytona.

Quick Reply: Looking for a transmission rebuilder