C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
Use the T5 yoke, the C3 ujoints fit it just fine.
Bernie

Problem is all the salvage yards take the yoke out and sell it with the drive shaft. I haven't found one yet that has the yoke with it.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The yoke doesn't have the removable caps. Per instructions from Norval, polish the u-joint bores with a flapper wheel until you can almost push the u-joint caps in by hand. then it will go together without problems under the car and it doesn't weaken the joint. I was at a Vette show last year and I saw a vendor that sells T5 yokes with removable caps. I will try to look it up tonight. If you want a regular T5 yoke Performance Parts and Salvage (mustang salvage yard) 865-484-1944 or www.performancemustangparts.com, usually has them. Same people I bought my T5 from.
Bernie
Old 01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well some good news and some poss. bad news.
I finally found a yolk that will fit from another T5 I tried it right at the scrap yard and it fit just fine. The good part....$30.00!!!!
Also the plate is done and I will be getting it tomorrow. Unsure of price, but I think it may just be materials.
Now the "less good" news.
I cleaned the trans. Thurs. and found alot of silicone squeezed out of all the case mating surfaces, so someone was in there before. Not a real big deal though, I figure that with the price I paid, i can afford to have another friend of a friend disassemble the trans completely and see what shape its in, and go from there. Also at that time I can get the empty case and sandblast it to give that great new aluminum look.
Things are looking up.
Bernie I will contact you here when I get the trans back and we will resume my "CAVEMAN" training!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

The first thing you do with the adapter plate is put it on the bellhousing using only the 2 side bolts, I prefer to screw studs in the bellhousing, these studs are outside the tranny anyway, they are the stock holes that I use to hold the adapter plate to the bellhousing. I put a flat washer under each nut or bolt and lightly snug the adapter to the bellhousing.
You then mount the bellhousing to the block, put a dial indicator on the flywheel and index the hole. You tap with a hammer the adapter up or down or side to side until you get no run out.
You then snug the bolts or nuts down tight, check once agian for the hole having NO runout and then remove the bellhousing.
At this point I drill 3 or 4 dowel pin holes through the back side of the bellhousing and adapter plate. These pins guarantee future alignment of our transmission. Forget offset dowel pins, they are really hard to work with.
True the adapter plate with just the two side bolts, the ones at 3 and 9 oclock. I look at the inside of the bellhousing and you find bosses, heavier spots with thick material. Drill 3 or 4 of these and ream to 1/4 inch. After reaming I drill the adapter plate to 1/4 inch and press dowel pins into the bellhousing. I ream the bellhousing .250 but drill the adapter plate so the pins slide in easy.
This guarantees a perfectly aligned plate.
After this I put in the counter sunk top left hand bolt.

Now for the tranny studs. I place the tranny on the work bench with a 4 x 4 under the tranny mount and the front input shaft handing over the front of the bench.
Put the adapter plate over the front bearing retainer, this is what the big hole is for. Place a level on the top of the adapter plate and make it level. Use a clamp and clamp one ear of the tranny and adapter plate together. I then use transfer punches to make the other 3 hole. I then use another clamp on another ear of the tranny and mark the 4 th hole.
These are the holes you are going to thread and put studs in for holding the tranny.
Good luck and hope you understand most of what I am trying to say
Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 AM
BrentDev
Drifting

Could (or has) anyone put this over on corvettefaq for posterity's sake?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:00 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrentDev
Could (or has) anyone put this over on corvettefaq for posterity's sake?
I have been posting on this since I joined the forum in 2000 or so. I first did this swap in 1999
Old 01-20-2007, 08:35 AM
BrentDev
Drifting

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I have been posting on this since I joined the forum in 2000 or so. I first did this swap in 1999

Right, I know. I think I have been around here since 2001 or so too, when i got my first vette.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I think the corvettefaq webpage does a good job (and I don't know who on here manages it) of taking good snapshots of the common articles/upgrades/etc and putting them on their webpage.

heck - a lot of them are simply the posts/threads copied directly from here.

We all know that with a user forum with so much traffic and volume as cf.com, they only have so much storage, and sometimes stuff gets lost and such. I *think* (talking out my a$$ here) that the corvettefaq pages are a bit smaller, and really are limited to just that....faqs, not opinions and such. As an example, I think there are several threads on different steering installs, brake changes/upgrades/ just to name a few.

I think I am arguing in a circle, so I will shut up now. Back to my coffee.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Great way to explain that Norval. It's taken permanent residence in my archive of pictures and text files for a T5 swap into a C3.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:03 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

In a week or two when I'm ready to start this swap I will do my best to put together a comprehensive thread on the steps nessassary to do this swap. I just hope I can get good picture quality.
Stay tuned to this thread till then.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:12 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Originally Posted by sly vette
In a week or two when I'm ready to start this swap I will do my best to put together a comprehensive thread on the steps nessassary to do this swap. I just hope I can get good picture quality.
Stay tuned to this thread till then.

Carguy4sure/ Doug did this last year. He put together steps on doing this swap. Bernie also did a great job of writing this swap up.
Most of the posts are never seen agian since you can't go back that far.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:55 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

That's why I think we need to get it onto corvettefaq (if it isnt already there).
Old 01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Carguy4sure/ Doug did this last year. He put together steps on doing this swap. Bernie also did a great job of writing this swap up.
Norval, all you have to do is go to "advanced search" and select the "archives" box. Then all posts to the beginning of the forum are searchable.

We, really, REALLY need a sticky explaining how to use the search function for maximum efficiency. I figured it out through trial, error and accident.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

And a 'title' if you are looking for a thread.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by sly vette
And a 'title' if you are looking for a thread.
Title? You don't need the title...just a general idea of the subject. A few "keywords" will turn it up every time.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:27 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Here you go. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1201254
Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL

Thanks Shakes...I just copied and pasted a LOT more text. It's a real shame that most of those pictures are gone. There's a tip for everyone...when thinking they will just go back to a thread later...the pics may not be there.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Thanks Shakes...I just copied and pasted a LOT more text. It's a real shame that most of those pictures are gone. There's a tip for everyone...when thinking they will just go back to a thread later...the pics may not be there.
I have to agree it is a real shame all of the informitive pics are no longer there. As they say a single picture is worth a thousand words well okay some just three lol. OMG lol.

Duango you know you might end up with a book when you are done and may have to purchase a new printer lol. Oh do not forget stock in a paper company.

Get notified of new replies

To Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!

Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
I have to agree it is a real shame all of the informitive pics are no longer there. As they say a single picture is worth a thousand words well okay some just three lol. OMG lol.

Duango you know you might end up with a book when you are done and may have to purchase a new printer lol. Oh do not forget stock in a paper company.

Trust me...I have saved several threads in their totality. I copy and paste quite a bit, and on a lot of different subjects. Here's how I put it. My Vette folder for projects, pictures, info, links...ect...is already a GIG after being on the forum for under a year.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Trust me...I have saved several threads in their totality. I copy and paste quite a bit, and on a lot of different subjects. Here's how I put it. My Vette folder for projects, pictures, info, links...ect...is already a GIG after being on the forum for under a year.
Okay then maybe invest in AMD lol. And thank goodness for very big Hard Drives. Oh and NYX might be worth looking at
Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can hardly wait until you start assembly of the bell housing and adapter! It makes me want to go get another T5 and do it all over again!
Bernie

Quick Reply: Everything You Need to Know to Install a T5 Ford Transmission!