C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my '79 L-82 up and running...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 12:45 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Getting my '79 L-82 up and running...

In the southwest forum i made a post at this link: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=162697 and I was wondering if anyone over here could help

Hey, I'm pretty new to Texas and I have a 1979 L82 that's been neglected for quite a few years. I am planning to try to get it running and eventually fully restore it back to near show room condition. Since I'm 17 years old and about ready to get to college money is pretty tight so I'm wondering how much it would cost for some basic things. I need a new windshield, the transmission slips, I think the break lines might need to be re-done (or maybe it'll work to just bleed the break lines, i havn't tried yet), I'll probably want to get the engine checked for compression etc., and there is some rust. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 03:06 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Getting my '79 L-82 up and running... (theanswriz42)

Greetings,

Of course you'll get some help here. My usual suggestion in this case - (you will find that everyone has suggestions, comments and opinions. I think its alsways good to take what you can from them and then figure out what works best for you) - is to make a list of everything you think the car needs to get it where you would like it. Also, it would be helpful to know if you want to build a show car, weekend warrior or daily driver.

Given the fact that you're getting ready for school, sounds like a Daily Driver would be the way to go but either way, I'd then take the list of items and prioritize them in Safety items first, Getting it to run decent and reliable second, and cosmetics third. It also helps to know what work you can do yourself. If you can do some or all of the work yourself, you can save quite a few bucks.

Brakes, Steering and Suspension certainly fall into the first category. Windshield probably falls into that also. Tranny would fall into the second category along with tune-up if necessary.

You're right, I'd first start with trying to bleed the brakes and see what happens. If it hasn't been driven in a while, I would flush brake fluid through the lines until it comes out cleaner.

Do a search here and you'll probably find a number of topics on bleeding the brakes and other things you need to do to the car. Or when ready, just post some specific topics and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

Good luck...
Old 10-08-2001, 01:33 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: Getting my '79 L-82 up and running... (78Vette-SA)

Hey Joe,
Thanks for all the help, I apprecaite it. I can probably do the breaklines myself and the bleeding etc. since it's real easy and brainless. As for the windshield, I havn't any remote clue how to install one, so I'm thinking it would be best to let the professionals take care of that. It's deffinately a project car for me but it'll be nice when it's running well.

Thanks Again
Old 10-08-2001, 07:30 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Getting my '79 L-82 up and running... (theanswriz42)

Steering can be disconected if you have gotta do it (i dont recomend it)

how many miles are on it would give you more answers about the trans

this post hasnt done you much but to bring it back to the top of the page and another fella telling you good luck
:jester

ZD
Old 10-08-2001, 07:35 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: Getting my '79 L-82 up and running... (ZD75blue)

Well on the engine there is only about 29k miles total (my dad hardly ever drove the car). If there is anything else you'd like to know, just ask and I'd be more than happy to help you help me

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Getting my '79 L-82 up and running...

Quick Reply: Getting my '79 L-82 up and running...