C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers and side pipes leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
I used a LIBERAL amount of antisieze. When you first start it up, blew some of it out the gap, but then seemed to seal the exhaust over time. Makes it easier to get them back off too.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Racer11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summit racing
Should be this one.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Be warned, they are LOUD.
I currently am putting on a set of Hookers,,,,I got them from Jet-Hot and the guy (Matt) at Jet Hot told me that the max flo's were not too loud and had less restriction. I told him that I did not want ear splitting exaust and such,,,,,,Now ya got me worried.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is MaxFlo the brand name for those 2.5 inch inserts? I can't find them listed; including Jeg's and Summit.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Good point, I switched to the Spiral Turbo Baffels when I used the anti sieze. Just shows you how restrictive the stock Hooker mufflers are.
Won't the antiseize burn off?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Racer11
Racer

Originally Posted by Kfmorgan
Is MaxFlo the brand name for those 2.5 inch inserts? I can't find them listed; including Jeg's and Summit.
you need to call jet hot or hooker,,,jet hot will ship them direct to you from hooker and hooker I think is a tad cheaper,,,,currently the max flos are on back order.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jughead
Won't the antiseize burn off?
Permatex anti-seize lube is good to 1600F
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Permatex anti-seize lube is good to 1600F
That seems to be about the temperature of my Hooker sidepipes without the shields when I set my calf against it.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:33 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bashcraft
The glasspack mufflers have a 2" core, they are still very restrictive. The MaxFlo's have a 2-1/2" core and are much better.
The original Hooker glasspacks are closer to 1 3/4"......

I remember trying the reverse flows for the first time, I put them in the sidetubes and slipped them onto the collector without tightening the bolt just to hear them at idle. I started the car and after a few seconds I reached in and just barely blipped the throttle and blew both the sidetubes off! Yep, there's some restriction.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfmorgan
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-02-2013, 08:14 PM
bahamax@yahoo.com
5th Gear

Default Great Info on Grinding a little off of the side pipe clamp

Yea, Hooker Side Exhaust, the Stainless are as bad as the painted on fit. I have had nothing but problems with these headers with the fitment. The drivers side sucks. Now after starting it condensation is leaking out of the joint between the the collector and the side pipe. Hooker has their head up their ^%%$$#@. After thousands of calls and complaints you would think their popsicle truck engineers would figure it out instead of selling their problems to us to figure out, and them doing Nothing about the quality control.. Another Pathetic American Company too big for their britches , now that Holley owns them on the way to extinction only to be sold out to the Chinese, they will get it straight. The Headers they were making in Mexico years ago were better than the American Made. Keep up this stuff, tell people you dont pay for labor , after you sell them products that do not fit, and you pay to get it installed, or worse, did it yourself and are told to take it off and they will send you another set ? What a scam. Basically their warranty is junk. So lets get this straight, we are Hooker Headers, we sell defective Headers, we will replace them under warranty, and wont pay the R and R labor, and yea and you will pay the freight too. ? Just throw your money in the toilet. It's like a life long job to try and get a lousy product that has been made for 50 years and still blows. Hooker should be ashamed to say Made In America. A Class Action would be good to all of the poor suckers like me that have paid out the nose for their so called high quality and are dealing with it on a daily basis. Did I mention I owned a Corvette Shop ?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bahamax@yahoo.com
Yea, Hooker Side Exhaust, the Stainless are as bad as the painted on fit. I have had nothing but problems with these headers with the fitment. The drivers side sucks. Now after starting it condensation is leaking out of the joint between the the collector and the side pipe. Hooker has their head up their ^%%$$#@. After thousands of calls and complaints you would think their popsicle truck engineers would figure it out instead of selling their problems to us to figure out, and them doing Nothing about the quality control.. Another Pathetic American Company too big for their britches , now that Holley owns them on the way to extinction only to be sold out to the Chinese, they will get it straight. The Headers they were making in Mexico years ago were better than the American Made. Keep up this stuff, tell people you dont pay for labor , after you sell them products that do not fit, and you pay to get it installed, or worse, did it yourself and are told to take it off and they will send you another set ? What a scam. Basically their warranty is junk. So lets get this straight, we are Hooker Headers, we sell defective Headers, we will replace them under warranty, and wont pay the R and R labor, and yea and you will pay the freight too. ? Just throw your money in the toilet. It's like a life long job to try and get a lousy product that has been made for 50 years and still blows. Hooker should be ashamed to say Made In America. A Class Action would be good to all of the poor suckers like me that have paid out the nose for their so called high quality and are dealing with it on a daily basis. Did I mention I owned a Corvette Shop ?
You realize this thread is over 6 years old, right?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
That's why I have the MaxFlo's now. Haven't driven the car with them on yet, but it sure sounds purdy running in the garage.
I'd use the term "deafening".... which isn't a bad thing all the time.

I don't like the power decrease of the reverse flows (I did learn something recently, though, that there are 2 reverse flows, an early and a late... the late are a lot better at flow)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I used an inch wide band of antiseize followed by some Copper permatex behind it and no leaks. Same as mentioned some of the grey antiseize came out, just wiped it off and everything is fine.

Good luck driving with the MaxFlo inserts. They sound great at idle but under load and acceleration the tone got old and annoying really quick for me. Very Loud but not horrible loud it was just the deep tone/droneish sound they have that turned me off within a week. I do have a 107 centerlobe cam though so it's louder on it's own anyway. Had some guys at a shop say they heard the car a few minutes before I got there and that it was pretty darn loud.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by bahamax@yahoo.com
Hooker replaced my right side header (flange was bowed) and paid the freight to Canada. They never asked me to return the defective header. Sorry your experience didn't go as well as mine. I have condensation coming out of the tail pipes of all my vehicles and where you mentioned on the Hookers. I don't see that as an issue. That's why they put drain holes in mufflers. I'd rather have the water drain off than sit inside the exhaust system. Darn water gets into everything!

Quick Reply: Hooker Headers and side pipes leaking