C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is time for the 200R4- couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Darrel1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UKPaul
From my experience, no! During normal driving I haven't noticed that I need to give it any more throttle to pull away, gently accelerate, etc. The times I have noticed the higher stall rating is when I was parked in soft sand facing up a hill (the revs started cimbing more than normal before the car moved) & when I stomp on the throttle from a standing start. With a higher stall speed the engine revs can climb before the engine get's "loaded" down by the weight/resistance of the car (just like slipping a manual clutch to get the revs up into the power band). I reckon a 2200 stall converter works great in mine (2.87 rear, so maybe the revs need to get up a bit more than with a lower rear ratio).
I don't know what the stock stall speed was/is. All I've got to go on is what BTO told me (1800) when I bought my 200-4r. All I know for sure is that I'm glad I took the 2200 converter. It's fine for pottering along in traffic & lets the revs climb a bit when playing (with max torque of the late C3's being somewhere close to 2000rpm, it makes sense to fit a converter that gets the revs into that region if the throttle is floored).

UKPaul- is your vehicle a stock L48 also? Just making sure your frame of reference is the same.

Darrel1
Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's an L81 (with a throbbing 195hp!) fitted with dual exhausts, headers & a couple of other small bits. An L48 with duals would be about the same for power.
When I bought my 200-4r I was scratching my head over the same choice, but I'm glad I went for the 2200rpm stall. As I said, in normal driving it doesn't feel any different (that I've noticed) than it did before, but it does let the revs climb a bit more when I use more throttle (or when it's parked on deep sand on a hill!).
Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the 2200 stall in my BTO lev 2 trans. I have 3.55 rear gears. I believe this a great mod and do not believe you would notice any real difference between the 1800 and 2200 when cursing. If anything, you will see it in take-offs. The higher stall allows th engine to rev a little higher on a fast start condition to get the rpm range that the motor will have more power. Very little difference if you are doing a slow start.
Trans install
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
rweasterly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

im not trying to insult anyone because God knows if i had the money i woulnt have to shop so much for the deal...but!!!why pay bowtie so much for the tranny???,,now if i had a major horsepower motor then i could see ...but if you have a stock low hp motor then a good stock jk-yard 200 tranny or even a rebuilt one is (theres plenty online) way way less money...so im not saying that im not missing something but ,if there is the big diffrence i would kike to know...because it is in my 77 c3,s future....you know its kinda like paying 1200 pluss dollars for a steeriods rack system when u can put together the same system for 200 or less....thanks once again not trying to insult anyone...i am glad to be educated..and i am always thankfull for others input and brain power
Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rweasterly
im not trying to insult anyone because God knows if i had the money i woulnt have to shop so much for the deal...but!!!why pay bowtie so much for the tranny???.....
For me it was simple. I live on the other side of the Atlantic & picking up a good, used trans isn't likely to happen here! Buying one from BTO that has a guarantee is a safe option. It wasn't THE guarantee that I was bothered about (what use is one when I have to ship the trans 5000 miles for any warrantee work?), it was the fact that it HAD a guarantee that was important ie. it was likely to hold together & not screw-up on me, leaving me with very pretty garage ornament in the form of a dead C3
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Darrel1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rweasterly
im not trying to insult anyone because God knows if i had the money i woulnt have to shop so much for the deal...but!!!why pay bowtie so much for the tranny???,,now if i had a major horsepower motor then i could see ...but if you have a stock low hp motor then a good stock jk-yard 200 tranny or even a rebuilt one is (theres plenty online) way way less money...so im not saying that im not missing something but ,if there is the big diffrence i would kike to know...because it is in my 77 c3,s future....you know its kinda like paying 1200 pluss dollars for a steeriods rack system when u can put together the same system for 200 or less....thanks once again not trying to insult anyone...i am glad to be educated..and i am always thankfull for others input and brain power
My reasoning is this- I do not have any experience with engines and transmissions- I have never taken one apart and this was my first removal.I do not want to risk experimenting with trying to rebuild one myself-and end up removing again and so on.... I quoted to rebuild a 200R4 here in the Detroit area and the cheapest I could get was about $690 without a convertor and me removing and installing myself. And I bet this is with the cheapest parts the shop could find.

Yes by going to BTO it was more expensive but based on feedback from this group- I will only have to install once with little issues. And I have a reputable company to back up their parts. And I will be driving in a weekend (once it's warmer)

I am sure maybe several years from now when I have learned more and I want to upgrade the engine I will attempt more things...but for now I choose the safe route.

For now I now my limitations

No insults taken by the way

Darrel1

Quick Reply: It is time for the 200R4- couple of questions