C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked the keys in my vette in myrtle beach need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:18 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gldnkngt,

Not something I'd share on the internet, please edit your post.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
jjarrett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

friend of mine locked his up while the car was running!---john
Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Did you miss the part about the "GLOCK" ? Peace,,,Moosie
Saw that but how does one UNGLOCK a car door
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
Saw that but how does one UNGLOCK a car door
Simple,,,,,Aim at the lock or the window. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Hey DB

Originally Posted by nolio
back on the road
wife is really mad.....
I will update tomorrow morning how we got in

Hey DB
Sounds like somebodies wife might want to give you a big KISS. You never know, maybe Nolio will...can you send me that info on the door?

Rob
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa
What I do is just pound my fist on the top right above the latch. Removes the tension, latch falls open. But this must be a sad method according to oberth because I didn't use a screw driver
This method was passed around the forum about 5 years back via PM's so that no unscrupulous characters found out how to take a C3 for a joyride. Now it's in the public domain, I'd suggest doing what I've done & tighten the hell out of the T Top latches
Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I locked my keys in my 70. Apparently you can't "slim jim" them since there's a plastic shield (?) that prevents the slim jim from working. I called a lock smith. He had a set of generic keys, none worked. He had to then make a key from scratch. Just amazing to watch.

I read an ariticle written by a very proficient Corvette car thief. (He was in federal prison when he wrote the article.) He carried a template that positioned around the door ourside surface. Then he used a ice pick to punch an exactly positioned hole in the door such that the ice pick ended up being positioned under a door unlock lever. He then rotated the ice pick to unlock the car. Wish I had saved the article. It was a masterpiece. His specialty, as I recall, was stealing cars to order. He had burglarly tools specific for each year of Corvette that he stole.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I locked my keys in my 70. Apparently you can't "slim jim" them since there's a plastic shield (?) that prevents the slim jim from working. I called a lock smith. He had a set of generic keys, none worked. He had to then make a key from scratch. Just amazing to watch.

I read an ariticle written by a very proficient Corvette car thief. (He was in federal prison when he wrote the article.) He carried a template that positioned around the door ourside surface. Then he used a ice pick to punch an exactly positioned hole in the door such that the ice pick ended up being positioned under a door unlock lever. He then rotated the ice pick to unlock the car. Wish I had saved the article. It was a masterpiece. His specialty, as I recall, was stealing cars to order. He had burglarly tools specific for each year of Corvette that he stole.
Thats a lot of work to go to just to get the door open.I made a 10 second video awhile back that lets you easily open the door with a dipstick without doing damage to your car.If you PM Durango Boy I'm sure he will send you a copy.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:49 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,510 Likes on 781 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You guys are all thinking way too deep. If it is like my '78 and has the standard old GM flared lock *****, you should be able to form a coat hanger with a hook on the end and slide it in through the top or side of the window. Guide it until it wraps around the **** and pull the latch. You may have to reform the hanger to reach to the ****, but in the 70s one could get inot a car typically in under 5 minutes. Thus, they came up with theft proof ***** which took off the flare out on the end of the ****. A repo guy showed my how to foil those. If the **** was up top near the back as most were, you just took a sharp screwdriver through the back edge of the window and dig it into the **** and leverage the **** up. I have looked at my '78 and I know I could pop that puppy in no time.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Terrordome
Instructor

...what ever happened to getting a SPARE KEY MADE?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Terrordome
...what ever happened to getting a SPARE KEY MADE?
Totaly -I make spares and hide them on each new car I buy.

But if your at a show and one of your buddys locks his keys in the car its certainly nice to know a way to get in without doing body damage or paying a locksmith upwards of $150.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
You guys are all thinking way too deep. If it is like my '78
The earlier C3's didn't have those type of interior locks

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Thats a lot of work to go to just to get the door open.I made a 10 second video awhile back that lets you easily open the door with a dipstick
I was wondering what the tool was in the video....
Will the Corvette dipstick work (Drivers side shorty) without mangling it so you cant get it back in the tube?

Thanks Roger

Forget that question, I cant open my hood easily without releasing it from the inside
I guess I would just break the windshield to get the passenger out

Last edited by Bob Onit; 07-06-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
The earlier C3's didn't have those type of interior locks

I was wondering what the tool was in the video....
Will the Corvette dipstick work (Drivers side shorty) without mangling it so you cant get it back in the tube?

Thanks Roger

Forget that question, I cant open my hood easily without releasing it from the inside
I guess I would just break the windshield to get the passenger out
Dont break anything just offer to check the oil on the car next to you and run off with their dipstick.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 AM
DeeVeeEight
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette

I was a victim of that guy, or one of his spawn. It was in Brooklyn, NY 1980. He got my tool box (it was a rental car) and I didn't even know it until the next day. I saw the hole next to the lock, put a screwdriver in it and tried it - it worked so slick that I had to give the bastard credit. Fast and efficient.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 AM
DeeVeeEight
Instructor

Originally Posted by gliot1
You guys are all thinking way too deep. If it is like my '78 and has the standard old GM flared lock *****, you should be able to form a coat hanger with a hook on the end and slide it in through the top or side of the window. Guide it until it wraps around the **** and pull the latch. You may have to reform the hanger to reach to the ****, but in the 70s one could get inot a car typically in under 5 minutes. Thus, they came up with theft proof ***** which took off the flare out on the end of the ****. A repo guy showed my how to foil those. If the **** was up top near the back as most were, you just took a sharp screwdriver through the back edge of the window and dig it into the **** and leverage the **** up. I have looked at my '78 and I know I could pop that puppy in no time.

Add a heavy duty rubber band to that coat hanger. Tie a knot in it. Loop one end of the rubber band over the lock stem (either style, straight or flared). Rotate the hanger so that the rubber band winds up around the stem. Wind it up good and tight. Pull.
Enjoy your ride!

Quick Reply: Locked the keys in my vette in myrtle beach need advice