C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive shaft replacment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft replacment

Hey all, I havent heard much on the subject of using spicer U-joints, but I just swaped the engine and trans and after finaly getting it installed time for the drive shaft........... well , I have the problem of installing the drive shaft.....( ) . whats the best way to go about this?, Im droping the rear suspension (at the cross bar) because Ive done the rear suspension rebuild before. . is this a common mistake?,or is there a better way to replace / install a new drive shaft?????
Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
1ARACE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unbolted the u-joint bolts at differential companion yoke, slid driveshaft towards front of car a bit, took off u-joint caps that sat in the yoke, which gave me enough wiggle room to get the driveshaft away and under the diff companion yoke, then slide it off trans. It is a tight fit, but with 2 of the caps off it gives you the extra 'wiggle' room, just be careful not to jar the caps too much or you'll have those needle bearings inside the caps everywhere.

You don't need to drop the suspension, you can do this as is on jack stands.

Installing, I slid driveshaft on trans first, took 2 caps off u-joint at diff companion yoke, set into the yoke, put caps back on, then the u-joint bolts.

Last edited by 1ARACE; 05-03-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
frank24
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally agree easy.

Get notified of new replies

To drive shaft replacment

Quick Reply: drive shaft replacment