C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Sidepipes and plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Hooker Sidepipes and plug wires

In my planning to put Hooker sidepipes on I was wondering if I need to change the routing of the plug wires? I presently have them routed the stock way; from the bottom. Do I need to change and route them on top of the valve covers? I do not have the sidepipes yet, just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks,
LannyL81
Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I don't have Hooker side pipes, but I do have hooker super comp headers, and I left the wires underneath (largely because it worked, and I was too lazy to switch them).
My brother has the side pipes and he has them routed over the top, but it looks like there is enough space to route them underneath.
However here is a note to you: I had an incredibly difficult time changing his plugs 3 weeks ago. I had to use an open ended wrench in a couple of places. You might want to consider header plugs (they're shorter).

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

I have the older vintage Hooker headers / sidepipes on the 69 vert....ones with the Hooker name and Heart logo stamped on the collector. With those you have to be careful with cylinder 1 & 3 plug boots. They come very close to the header. I use plug wires that do not have large plug boots and add a high temp mesh insulator around the plug. Later Hooker header designs may have addressed this, not sure?

Bullshark
Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Later Hooker header designs may have addressed this, not sure?

Bullshark
I've read recently that their design for the side pipe headers has not changed. This is still a problem. The recommendations above are good ones. Shorty plugs and small caps on the plug wires appear to be the way to go. If it is still close, then try the wire covers or extenders.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the good advice. I better get some covers for 1 & 3.

Are straight boots better than angle boots?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Thanks for all the good advice. I better get some covers for 1 & 3.

Are straight boots better than angle boots?
45 deg angle could help depending on boot thickness. By the way, I forgot to mention I was talking about BB Hooker sidepipe headers.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lanny, I'm pondering the thought of putting these on my car as well, are you going for the chrome or ceramic coated? I'm considering the chrome but I'm worried about them rusting after a while, but I guess the ceramic coated ones aren't going to look as good. Also which muffler inserts if any are you going with, glasspac's or reverse flow?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

I am actually going to get the black ones, as I have a white car and the black trim plate below the doors. The black sidepipes ones will fit right in there. Also these things are going to catch alot of dirt being behind the front wheels...so chrome ones would require alot of cleaning time....time which I do not have lately.

As far as muffler inserts...I was planning on getting the ones from Sweet Thunder...the largest they have.

Where are you going to get yours from? It looks to me that Summit Racing has the best price...but if anyone knows of a better price....chime-in here.

LannyL81
Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 AM
68RATVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hookers with Taylor 8.5mm and 45 degree boots...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
2armor
Racer

I am actually going to get the black ones, as I have a white car and the black trim plate below the doors. The black sidepipes ones will fit right in there. Also these things are going to catch alot of dirt being behind the front wheels...so chrome ones would require alot of cleaning time....time which I do not have lately.

As far as muffler inserts...I was planning on getting the ones from Sweet Thunder...the largest they have.

Where are you going to get yours from? It looks to me that Summit Racing has the best price...but if anyone knows of a better price....chime-in here.

LannyL81

Hey Lanny, I just bought the same set up you are wanting in black. I havent installed them since the engine is being machined right now. Summit had the best deal I could find in a black header and side tube setup. I too went with the Sweet thunder but the 2.25" and not the 2.5". They fit great so far. I know what your saying as I have a white w/ blk int car too.

Good luck with yours, I'l be playing the sparkplug game too in a few more weeks...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my planning to put Hooker sidepipes on I was wondering if I need to change the routing of the plug wires? I presently have them routed the stock way; from the bottom. Do I need to change and route them on top of the valve covers? I do not have the sidepipes yet, just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks,
LannyL81

I'm running the Hooker Sidepipes. I ran my spark plug wires through the stock feed throughs.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

LannyL81
Yep, Summit is where I've been looking also, seems as though the price is right from them and I've had positive buying experiences with them before. I think I'm going with the chrome after all. I've seen them on Silver C3's and they look awesome.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

I stayed with routing the plug wires in the stock location, under the exhaust, against the block. I was thinking that since heat rises...better to have wires below the headers.

Almost ready to put my order in...but now have a separate question that I will be posting.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i would seriously consider the ceramic coated ones!!! i have these headers on my 71 chevelle with close plug wires and the 45 degree boots and have yet to burn one!!! They are much cooler and disipate the heat out of engine compartment and wont melt your skin off by grazzing them with your leg!!! just a thought !
I am also thinking of putting these on my 68 vette!!
they have the new sterling finish which looks almost like chrome!!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blunblk68
i would seriously consider the ceramic coated ones!!! i have these headers on my 71 chevelle with close plug wires and the 45 degree boots and have yet to burn one!!! They are much cooler and disipate the heat out of engine compartment and wont melt your skin off by grazzing them with your leg!!! just a thought !
I'll check them out, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blunblk68
Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 AM
bwellisley
Pro

hooker comp headers ceramic black with 8.5mm taylor wires and straight boots...couple of pics. 68sb

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Sidepipes and plug wires

Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Racer11
Racer

I have recently installed the hooker sides and I have the ceramic sterling finish type. They are so much cooler, I was amazed. under the hood heat and the pipe on the side almost instantly cools once the motor is shut off. I ran my wires under the pipes and no problem's.

Consider what insert you use,,,,I ordered max flows, when at a idle they sound cool but street speed and highway speed.....I couldnt carry on a conversation with the passenger or talk on the cell phone. I took those out and put in some STS turbos. I got good sound and now can talk dirty to my Girlfriend.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

http://www.wrenchrat.com/index.php?r=5
Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Originally Posted by stavanger
Now thats a good link and a good idea;

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidepipes and plug wires