C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 06:39 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads???

I overtorqued a intake bolt and ruined the hole. What type of bit do I drill the hole out with? And then I need to tap new threads for the helicoil and insert the coil?

Is that it in a nutshell?

Is ther any reason why I can't just tap new threads and put in a bigger bolt, say 7/16"?
Old 10-28-2001, 07:24 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads??? (74-Roadster)

Heli-coils use a different drill size than regular taps. The kit gives you the drill, a special heli-coil tap and most importantly an installation tool. Without the heli-coil tap and tool you cannot install them. You can tap to a bigger size but a good heli-coil repair is better.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:28 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads??? (74-Roadster)

You'll need to buy a Helicoil Kit, which contains a special tap, and the helicoils themselves. The package will tell you which size bit to use. Would not drill out the hole and go bigger. Helicoils require special taps, which have the same threads/inch on the outside as on the inside. You cannot use a standard tap. Buy the whole kit. Chuck
Old 11-10-2001, 11:20 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads??? (Chuck Gongloff)

Well, I had my engine running again for the second time and no leaks . . . A friend said if the bolt is getting some torque, leave it alone and see if everything is okay. So far so good. :D
Old 11-10-2001, 11:29 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

IMHO it's best to do it the right way. Pick up a helicoil kit from the local parts store. Stop in at the hardware store for the right size drill bit. Drill, tap, insert and be done with it for good. It's so simple and relatively inexpensive there's really no reason to Bubba it.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:45 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads??? (ddecart)

IMHO it's best to do it the right way. . . It's so simple and relatively inexpensive there's really no reason to Bubba it.
I've heard completely the opposite. Friends have told me that I will need to pull the head to do it right and then I should probably take the head to a machine shop. My understanding is that drilling into a head in place and keeping the hole plumb is not very simple. :confused:

Also, it's the far corner bolt and the threads are certainly yielding but have not failed. Since no additional force is being applied, only the thermal cycle could add additional loading to cause more strain and failure. So, if it doesn't leak. . . leave it alone. This engine will only serve as a sunny day driver for another 15,000 - 20,000 miles and then I'm putting a new engine in her. :D :D :D
Old 11-11-2001, 01:38 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently did three helicoils in my passenger head. It was a pain but not impossible and after the first one I knew what to expect so the others were easy (about three hous total - header off to header on). Two tricks are, I had to break about 1.5 to 2 inches off the drill bit and resharpen it in order to get the right angle with the drill AND get a variable speed angle drill (cheap rental). You want to drill slow and steady and it will still catch a lot. I don't think getting a PERFECTLY straight hole is absolutley necessary and it is easy to estimate 'close enough'.

also, once one hole goes...others will eventually follow. But unless you get persistent exhaust leak, I would leave it until you do. After I was done the threads were ...oh so nice!

Get notified of new replies

To poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads???

Quick Reply: poopie: I need some help installing helicoil threads???