C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 AM
kickenit2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Weight

I recently purchased a 1974 Vette. Someone for an inexplicable reason had graphted an early 1980's front & rear clip and bumpers onto it. I am going to remove the front & rear clip and bumpers, and doors before I try and lift the body off. My question is how to select a lifting device for the weight of the body. Any estimates of what the body would weight? I have an engine lift with a 2 ton capacity, however I do not know if it has the reach to center over the body for lifting and get the height to clear the frame. Any help with a weight estimate would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Straps is how most do it. I've seen pictures here of guys using engine lifts to lift the body. I'd do and archive search and you'll find tons of info. I't much easier if you have an overhead beam and winch with lots of clearence.
Straps are sold by a few of our vendors or go to the parts section and post a WTB Body Lift Straps thread. New, they are around $100, used, around half. You may want to pick up the "how to" video too...good luck...gp
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC03899.jpg
Old 07-22-2007, 08:48 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out threads by Kortensi and 82MDVette. Both threads have exception detail with photos and explanations.

Kortensi - Follow along ...
82MDVette - My 82's re-assembly ...

I used a strap system to lift body off.

Bumpers off, doors removed, seats removed, I would estimate the body to be about 900 pounds.

If a convertible, you have to reinforce between door posts to prevent damage to the body.

Also ensure that you support to nose section to body when separated from the frame, otherwise it will separate itself from the firewall area.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
tlynam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this. Straps to the bird cage rails and an engine hoist works just fine.

The body doesn't weight that much. With the doors off and interior out, I can lift one side of the body off of the wooden dolly by hand without significant effort.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
tlynam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, the body shop will be putting the body back on for me. I was just about to put my Eckler's body strap and Noland body lift video on e-bay. If you're interested, send my a PM. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 AM
kickenit2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlynam
BTW, the body shop will be putting the body back on for me. I was just about to put my Eckler's body strap and Noland body lift video on e-bay. If you're interested, send my a PM. Thanks.
Your pic looks like it has the same type of lift as I do. Thank you for the quick shot. I appreciate all the replies & links from you all! Looks like a lot of fun! I will remeber to make sure the nose is off too!

Get notified of new replies

To Body Weight

Quick Reply: Body Weight