C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Body on 81 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Body on 81 Vette

I have the option of buying a rolled/wrecked 81 Corvette with no body. There isn't any frame damage, and believe it or not it still runs and some of the gauges still work, but every body panel except one of the doors is destroyed. Basically I can pick it up for about $1,000 - the parts alone are worth more than that, especially since I have an 80 and an 81 already.

However, I was also thinking about the possibility of rebuilding it. What would it take to put a 69 body on this chasis? Body work isn't my area so I would have a shop do it, but I can get one piece fronts and rears from Ecklers for about $1,100 a piece, new doors, basically everything I need. Am I thinking within the realm of possibility here, or is this something that wouldn't work?

Another option would be to keep the body style consistent with the year, but make a convertible out it. The previous owner kind of started the process for me already...

Last edited by Ron R; 07-24-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Ron R
Drifting

If a mod sees this, can you move it to C3 Tech - I accidentally posted in the wrong forum. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with $$$ anything is possible
But it sure sounds like mounting the bumpers would be a huge PITA
Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the front frame horns are completely different, same with the rears....I don't know if the body mounts are identical with the 68-72 or different, any case, extensive welding will be required.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Ok, I'll rule out going to the 69 body for now then.

What about rebuilding it as an 81 convertible? I assume I would use a 75 rear? Is it as simple as fitting the body from a 75 rear end (and of course windshield and other required stuff) or is there more to it? I've seen a couple of these conversions done, but never actually met anyone in person who did it to ask them how.

Again, I won't be doing this myself so it's not necessary that I know all of the details on how it's done ... just enough to know what I need to buy and then to find a shop to do the work.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The labor will suck your funds as if it were a black hole in the galaxy, You will end up with a car that you may never recoup what you sunk into.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your overworking the problem. An 80 - 82 can be converted to a convertible, but you don't need to replace the whole rear of the body. The Fiberglass rear deck for 74/75 is available from most parts vendors. Removing the rear window and upper bird cage and installing that piece is a whole lot less work than installing a body from the doors back. The hard part is getting a deck lid with all hardware, soft top frame, and the windshield header piece.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 71rdster
Your overworking the problem. An 80 - 82 can be converted to a convertible, but you don't need to replace the whole rear of the body. The Fiberglass rear deck for 74/75 is available from most parts vendors. Removing the rear window and upper bird cage and installing that piece is a whole lot less work than installing a body from the doors back. The hard part is getting a deck lid with all hardware, soft top frame, and the windshield header piece.

Purchase a 68-75 AIM and the 81 AIM; compare the convertible birdcage/body work with that of the coupe. That'll give you a starting point. Remember, convertible doors and door glasses are different from those of the coupe.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rear crossmenber is also different. As far as the front frame horns and I could be wrong, I dont see much difference except for the number of holes in it. That big reinforcement brack was bolted onto the 73 car to help with the 5mph crash rule. Others are sure to chime in. One forum member put a 68-72 rear clip on a 76, another took a 78 and put a rear clip from a 73 on it. He cut off the kickup portiions on the frame and welded in 68-74 kickups and his vehicle looks good. This is a project that I will attempt when I find a good donor car. Chrome bumper enthusists tend to frown upon this due to the amount of work it takes, and the time to find all the necessary parts, not tho mention the costs. I say go for it.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parts for C3 verts aren't cheap. I've collected quite a few over the past few years, just never pulled the trigger on the conversion yet. Having a shop do the work will make it cost quite a bit.

FYI:
I've been through the 74 AIM exersize, there a lot of little parts if you want to do it right.

If you use a 74-75 vert deck, note that the gas tank opening is farther forward than the 81's tank. The conversion decks that used to be made had the opening in the correct place. If the rear quarters are trash then a rear clip might be a better way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Body on 81 Vette

Quick Reply: 69 Body on 81 Vette