C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley SA choke/high idle question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM
7Deuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley SA choke/high idle question/problem

Here's my story...sorry kinda long...

I currently have a Holley Street Avenger 670 w/ electric choke installed on my 72. I purchased the carb new and installed about a year ago (run for less than 1000 miles). I have had no problems with the unit up until now.

The past several times I have started my car when the engine is cold (sitting for a couple of days) my choke/high idle does not seem to set right. Normally I would pump the gas twice and turn the key. The car would fast idle at about 1500rpm and the choke would slowly come off or I would blip the throttle to kick it down. Now, I pump the gas and the engine cranks/turns over but does not go into high idle. I have to keep my foot on the gas for awhile so it warms up and doesn't die.

Today I took off the air cleaner and did some tests. I noticed when I fully depress the gas peddle the choke plate will close but not fully. I also manually operated the throttle linkage on the carb and it still left the gap even when fully actuated. About 1/4 inch gap remains. I pushed on the plate with my finger and it would close completely but I had to push pretty hard to get it to close. When I went to pump the gas peddle again I noticed the choke plate returned to the 1/4 gap position. Turned the key and same thing..no high idle. I let the engine run awhile and noticed that the choke plate did gradually open.

I put a multimeter on my electricaly connection to the choke and I am getting power. My meter measured 14V so I'm not really sure where it's wired into, I think it should be 12V. I've had no problem with this exact same connection for a year so I don't think that's it.

Outside temps aren't that high. I'm in WI, and some of the times I've gone to start it's only been mid 60's out. So before I call Holley tech service I wanted to run it by the forum. Any ideas why my car won't start in high idle and why the choke plate won't go completely closed/flushed when cool?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
ss4ever
Advanced

Have you tried to just adjust the choke a little to compensate for the warmer than winter weather?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

he's probably right.

the choke and fast idle are related, but operate seperately.

go to holleys web page and get some diagrams and set up instructions. you'll find it to be easy.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Avette4me
he's probably right.

go to holleys web page and get some diagrams and set up instructions. you'll find it to be easy.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
7Deuce
Racer

Originally Posted by Avette4me
he's probably right.

I did check my instruction manual. It tells how to adjust if your choke is coming off to early or staying on too long. There is a section on how to adjust the high idle but my problem is my car doesn't high idle at all. I don't see the diagram for my carb on their website. Part # 0-80670

http://www.holley.com/TechService/Library.asp

The carb was working fine for over a year. The choke/high idle functioned in 90+ degree weather and 40 degee weather. I don't think it's an issue with the ambient temperature but I could be wrong
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
7Deuce
Racer

The instructions say to rotate the choke cap counterclockwise if the choke is coming off too soon and rotate the choke cap clockwise if its coming off too late. Since the chock plate isn't closing completely would I rotate the cap counterclockwise? What about the high idle? Any idea why it won't set and how to fix?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

your high idle screw sets on a cam that moves with the choke to a certain degree and is adjusted by reaching under the linkage.

since it was working, and assuming that you have made no other adjustments, the choke is likely not moving the fast idle cam far enough to let the set screw hold your butterflies open enough. by increasting the choke (clockwise), you will allow the fast idle cam to do it's job.

for what it's worth, i usually disable my choke (on a holley) because i don't like the "wash" of the additional fuel. i can set with the car until the fast idle is enough - only needed in winter here.

click here - find the one that suits your carb

Last edited by Avette4me; 07-24-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 AM
7Deuce
Racer

Well, I sent an email to holley tech. They responded that from my description it sounded like the choke cap went bad. They are sending me a new one. I'll see if that fixes my problem. They are sending me the new part no cost and no questions asked. Good service so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley SA choke/high idle question/problem

Quick Reply: Holley SA choke/high idle question/problem