C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front monospring system –vs- coilovers with stock or tubular a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front monospring system –vs- coilovers with stock or tubular a-arms

Hey all, I am about to purchase a complete new suspension for my ’78. Currently the entire suspension is all original (from looks of it – ‘original’ is the operative word.) I’ve decided that I’m not concerned about keeping the vehicle stock – technological upgrades work fine for me. This is basically a street driven vehicle and I wouldn’t anticipate that changing any, although I do like to test the limitations of the vehicle from time to time (as my wife will attest from riding with me in my highly modified 2001). Significant engine enhancements (if not a new crate) are in the plans a year or two out.

Here’s what I’m looking at
1. a front monospring system
2. putting on semi-coilovers with rebuilt stock a-arms
3. true coilovers with aftermarket a-arms

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from those of you that have experience with any of these options. What did you find to be the pros and/or cons of which system? If you have experience with more than one of the options above, how would you rank the systems and why? Anything special or out of the ordinary I should be considering?

Feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My '82 has the front monospring and my '72, that's in progress, has QA1 coilovers. My experience with the front monospring has been great. The car drives great, the adjustability is great.....I really have zero negative things to say about it. I have the ride set pretty stiff right now, and the cornering difference between the stock system and new one is phenomenal. Course, I replaced my entire suspension at the same time, so it's hard to say what contributed to what.

I can't tell you how my '72 drives because it hasn't seen the road yet. I used tubular A-arms and the adjustable QA1's with coilovers.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks SuprJames. Great pics BTW.

What was the driving force behind your decision to use the coilovers on the '72 since you like the monospring on the '82?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHEN I rebuild my front end, it will be the VBP monospring. It just makes sense to me.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the VBP monospring and love it. I have it set pretty stiff but the ride is still comfortable (due to low unsprung weight?). I also have it set pretty low.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also can't say enough good things about the monospring setup. Just having the ride and height adjustability is worth any extra bucks in my estimation. The system is also easy to install. Why not do the rear at the same time :-) With VP&B rear bracket kit, you also have the ride and height adjustment as well. They are a super combination.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:19 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0013
Thanks SuprJames. Great pics BTW.

What was the driving force behind your decision to use the coilovers on the '72 since you like the monospring on the '82?
I'm building the '72 as more of a streetable track car. The independant adjustablility of the coilovers is better for the track.....whether it actually sees it or not.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Excellent - thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with the mono spring as part of the performance plus kit from VB&P. Considering I'm working with all original parts, the kit will give me some additional parts I'll need anyway (swaybar, bushings, tie rod ends, sleeves, idler arm...)

More to come...
Peace,
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Front monospring system –vs- coilovers with stock or tubular a-arms

Quick Reply: Front monospring system –vs- coilovers with stock or tubular a-arms