C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MarkVIII vs Spal Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice work Tom. I've been trying to get some contacts at the local university here to run a similiar test on the Taurus 3.8 fans and the Mark 8 fans - you've saved me the trouble. It looks like four fans are about to hit Ebay.

I bought two of your radiators last christmas and was going to use one of the above mentioned fans on them. I was actually goint to start the install during Thanksgiving; but haven't come up with an install that looked clean. I've the controllers & the rest so it looks like the duals are the answer. What do the brackets cost & a p/n?

Now, you just need to have another sale like last Christmas for the fans

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 09-23-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

FWIF - I don't have a direct way to measure the Taurus Fan, but based upon pressure drops (U tube) & calculations it flows approx 1980 CFM at 0" H2O and draws 23.6 amps This seems to agree somewhat with what the spal 16" fan flows. I measured the Mark 8 at 2490 CFM.

-Lurkin

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 09-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by theoUK
Interesting stuff- but agree with some of the other posters that it would be good to know how they created the deltaP, and where in fact it was measured?? Tom - Does this lab give you a report on how the test is done, or just the "ultimate answer"?

But even without knowing how the test was set up, assuming the different fans were all tested in the same way, then just looking at the differences between them is still pretty informative.

And yeah, I'd like to know what the stock fan's CFM is too! Anyone?

I only use puller fans and I think of them like a vacuum cleaner, sucking air through the radiator. You know how your vacuum cleaner starts to whine when you restrict the hose with your hand, that's what the labs do. They create a restriction on the INLET side of the fan, making the fan pull harder for air. They could use ducts and vents, restrictor plates, or a simple piece of cardboard with holes in it. Anything to create a vacuum. I guess I didn't really care what the method was, just as long as it was the same for both fans.

On the issue of stock engine driven fans, I don't know if anyone will ever come up with an exact cfm ratng. I was once told by a GM engineer that the older engine driven fans pulled about 800cfm (non-air) and 1000cfm (air) at idle. Many factors could affect this rating, including seals, clutch, and shoruding but we'll probably never no for sure. What we do know is that electric fans simply work better than mechanical ones because you are not dependant on the engine rpm. That's why every car produced in the last twenty years or so has electric fans. I'm not saying everyone should rush out there and get an electric fan. Most C3 cars have very robust cooling systems, as is, and don't need anything, even an aluminum radiator.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought I might add that if you do run a fan clutch this is some good reading to make your fan clutch work correctly for our Old cars.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/fanclutch1.doc

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/fanclutch2.doc

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/fanclutch3.doc
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
TTT,
Boy this sure died a quick death. Two (2) comments and one day later it's headed for the archives. It's pretty expensive to have lab testing done and I thought more people would be interested to see the facts on the famous MK8. Guess not
Thanks Tom, but Personally I didnt need the numbers,I got the 16" spal in the first place. I didnt make a mistake, the Spal's a proven winner to me and Ive run my performance engine in the most grueling 100 deg. stop and go it never budged up from the 185deg. mark. It does draw alot of amps when running in the constant stop and Go, and thats why I got the 100amp alternator. Enough said from me.

Last edited by 69vettester; 09-23-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
lil_red_devil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job tom

I had my spals before I ordered my rad from you. Hopefully everything should be running soon!

Spals look to me a much cleaner and more efficient install from what I have read already - now you have confirmed this for everyone with proof.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really know. I quit selling them and haven't even thought of going back. I may later select another PWM from some other company but right now I'm sticking with the old tried and true relays.

Ok now this is not (all) good info!! I bought the dual fan setup with controller, over $400 I think, from you this past spring. Are you saying I shouldn't use because there's a problem with these? My project is going slower this year than I thought, basically stuff is on shelf new still in the box. What do I need to do with it (PWM) now, send the controller back because it's a defect? I remember seeing a few posts awhile back but haven't really followed along since I'm not quite to that stage yet.

Let me know, by PM if need be.

Thanks
GD.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by GasketDude
Ok now this is not (all) good info!! I bought the dual fan setup with controller, over $400 I think, from you this past spring. Are you saying I shouldn't use because there's a problem with these? My project is going slower this year than I thought, basically stuff is on shelf new still in the box. What do I need to do with it (PWM) now, send the controller back because it's a defect? I remember seeing a few posts awhile back but haven't really followed along since I'm not quite to that stage yet.

Let me know, by PM if need be.

Thanks
GD.
My guess is, you don't have the controller. We quit selling it late 2006, so if you got a fan kit this sping it should have the relay harnesses.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom of the curve shows the resistance, starting with zero or as you say "free air" then it is increased. I can only assume they used louvers or something to cutoff the inlet side, creating the restriction.
Good graphs Tom.

What would be useful now, would be to find out what the resistance is of your various radiators to airflow at certain flow rates.

That way, a person could look at the graph, figure out where his radiator fits on the bottom line, then determine what size his fan needs to be. The flow rate required on the left side is determined by the cooling requirements of the engine (BB vs SB, etc.). This would allow a person to determine whether he needs a single fan or step up to dual fan in this case.

You could put this as a "selection tool" on your website to increase sales. (PS - no charge for this business development consulting service tip. )
Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Old thread? Sure but possibly a biased/incorrect thread.
Here's the RPM's of Mark VIII fans. Perhaps DeWitts test was using the more plentiful/common slower speed Mark VIII fans....we will never know.

RF64
93-96 Lincoln Mark VIII F3LY8C607A
93-96 fan spins 1100 RPM on Low and 1850 on High.

97's Lincoln Mark VIII F7LZ8C607AB
98's Lincoln Mark VIII F8LZ8C607AA,
97-98 fan spins 1800 RPM on Low and 2225 on High.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
Old thread? Sure but possibly a biased/incorrect thread.
Here's the RPM's of Mark VIII fans. Perhaps DeWitts test was using the more plentiful/common slower speed Mark VIII fans....we will never know.

RF64
93-96 Lincoln Mark VIII F3LY8C607A
93-96 fan spins 1100 RPM on Low and 1850 on High.

97's Lincoln Mark VIII F7LZ8C607AB
98's Lincoln Mark VIII F8LZ8C607AA,
97-98 fan spins 1800 RPM on Low and 2225 on High.
Did you stir anthills as a kid? ;-)

I commented on this in my new thread,
Biased?....no way.....lol

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:02 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Did you stir anthills as a kid? ;-)

I commented on this in my new thread,
Saw it
Biased?....no way.....lol
Why yes...yes I did And I always pull for the underdog...always.

Quick Reply: MarkVIII vs Spal Duals