C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Fusible link help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 82 Fusible link help please

I searched for the fusible link and found a lot of information on 70's models but nothing on a 82. The insulator at the battery terminal of my alternator cracked and and shorted the terminal to ground with lots of smoke. The wire burnt in half at the alternator. I have replaced the alternator and that section of wire but still so not have power at the terminal. Is there a fusible link for this at the starter?

Thanks much,
Andy
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure there is a fuse at the starter. I also think there is a fuse in the battery compartment aswell. I can look in my shop manual tonight. If you shorted, you certainly blew a fuse somewhere. I see your in Cumming GA. Im not far from you . I live off exit 10 up 400 on the eastside of Alpharetta.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have checked the wiring and fuses in the battery compartment and all see to be ok there. I am off exit 12 at McFarland. I moved from Cumming about 4 years ago to north Alpharetta.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You have 2 fusible links at the starter one goes to the alternator and the other goes to the headlights.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you have power to anything? Headlights,radio,coil,ect... If not you have to start from the batt. and check for power at the small juction block in the rear of the battery compartment. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I seem to have power to everything else, just not to the alternator.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 2 fuse links at the starter as Roger said. There is also a 6 pin connector right behind the passenger head that connects the starter and all its wires to the main harness, open it up and take a look, may have burned a terminal

Here is a schematic
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure which wires you are referring to. I have an 82CE and I'm hopefully will crank back up tomorrow. There are 2 wires that run down the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side. One red & one black. The red wire hooks from the battery compartment terminal fuseblock and goes straight to the alternator. (marked Bat.) If you don't have power to it, ohm it out to make sure it did not burn in too.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:45 PM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Dirtbuster1,

That is exactly what I found on mine last night. The wire is broken somewhere inside the frame. I will put a new wire on it tonight using no.6 to the battery connection on the starter and see how that works.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Glad I could help!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
I'm not sure which wires you are referring to. I have an 82CE and I'm hopefully will crank back up tomorrow. There are 2 wires that run down the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side. One red & one black. The red wire hooks from the battery compartment terminal fuseblock and goes straight to the alternator. (marked Bat.) If you don't have power to it, ohm it out to make sure it did not burn in too.

Originally Posted by AT-82Collectors
Dirtbuster1,

That is exactly what I found on mine last night. The wire is broken somewhere inside the frame. I will put a new wire on it tonight using no.6 to the battery connection on the starter and see how that works.

Thanks,

Andy
OK guys educate me ! My 82 manual does not show the 2 wires in the frame.My 82 manual shows 2 fusible links like Sixfooters drawing above coming off the starter. Does yours have 2 at the starter? My other diagram in the same manual shows 1 link at the starter and one on the battery charging wire coming from the battery box.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

I don't know if the wiring is the same on an 80. The 82 AIM shows 1 red wire running from the alternator BAT connection on the battery terminal connection. The 2nd is a ground wire that runs to the back & connects with the battery ground on the rear frame. The 82 also has the two fusable links at the starter.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the 2 wires they are talking about are the + and - from the alternator to the battery, He might have a burned connection there somewhere.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:45 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
I don't know if the wiring is the same on an 80. The 82 AIM shows 1 red wire running from the alternator BAT connection on the battery terminal connection. The 2nd is a ground wire that runs to the back & connects with the battery ground on the rear frame. The 82 also has the two fusable links at the starter.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 AM
AT-82Collectors
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The schematic that Sixfooter posted is correct with the two fusable links and the two wires that come from one of the links however none of these wires lead to the battery connection on my alternator. My 82 CE is the same as Dirtbuster1 with the red battery and ground wires going through the frame and to the battery box.

Andy
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by AT-82Collectors
The schematic that Sixfooter posted is correct with the two fusable links and the two wires that come from one of the links however none of these wires lead to the battery connection on my alternator. My 82 CE is the same as Dirtbuster1 with the red battery and ground wires going through the frame and to the battery box.

Andy
Thanks.....Here is the charging wire with the fusible link diagram in case anyone was wondering what I was talking about.This one only shows 1 fusible link at the starter..but it is not showing the headlight circuit on this diagram either.You have to use both diagrams to get a complete picture.
Six check out the 2 leads that the diagram says is going to the alt. battery post.I have a feeling this is a misprint.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Fusible link help please

Quick Reply: 82 Fusible link help please