C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Headlight relay wiring

Those of you who have installed relays in your headlight system - where did you tap into the wires from the switch to the lights? I assume the wires are in that taped bundle running along the upper inside edge of the driver-side fender.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have never actually DONE it, but well yes, those wires...you need determine which is which he/lo/blinker/side etc.....find the two to the hi/lo....and put them to the relay coils....hot side, other to ground....and then heavy up the wiring to the lights themselves, and the main power source off the horn terminal, should be good enough...

assuming you have a decent wire to the horn term from the alt output stud....
Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Batnman, this is the drawing I used. The black, green and tan wires run from the firewall connector thru the bundle along the drivers fender to the headlights. If your going to do this, cut the wires there by the alternator, use the part coming from the firewall to trigger the relays and the part going to the lights on the contacts for the relay

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

That's where I was going to tap in, because that's where I'm installing my fuse/relay box (a really nice underhood piece salvaged from a Lincoln Mk. VIII - aren't they useful cars? ). I didn't want to start hacking in there until I was sure that was the location of the wires. I'll probably run new, heavier wiring to the headlights - I have new high-temp sockets for my H4s, and my H1s will have 100w bulbs.

I finally managed to track down a single E-code 5.75" Hella H1 housing. Damned thing cost me as much as the other H1 and the two H4s combined. Since the introduction of the US-spec Hella housings, the E-code stuff has become hard to find.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a plan. Good to upsize the wires to the lamps
Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
That's where I was going to tap in, because that's where I'm installing my fuse/relay box (a really nice underhood piece salvaged from a Lincoln Mk. VIII - aren't they useful cars? ). I didn't want to start hacking in there until I was sure that was the location of the wires. I'll probably run new, heavier wiring to the headlights - I have new high-temp sockets for my H4s, and my H1s will have 100w bulbs.

I finally managed to track down a single E-code 5.75" Hella H1 housing. Damned thing cost me as much as the other H1 and the two H4s combined. Since the introduction of the US-spec Hella housings, the E-code stuff has become hard to find.
Hey Batman, can you post pics or info on the fuse/relay box your speaking of?

And I'd love to see pics of your progress of installing the relays, fuse box and headlights. Souds like you'll be able to see a tick on a deer a mile down the road.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

I'll get a pic of the box this evening.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
lil_red_devil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman

i found a set thru a friend a couple of years ago i had to wait a while but they were a perfect fit. if anyone is interested i will see if they are still available and how much to ship to US
Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
Hey Batman, can you post pics or info on the fuse/relay box your speaking of?

And I'd love to see pics of your progress of installing the relays, fuse box and headlights. Souds like you'll be able to see a tick on a deer a mile down the road.
Pics. The box has a shield that clips to the bottom that isn't pictured here.
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the way I came up with to power my headlight relay sytem. This alternator harness is made from 8ga wire and connects directly to the output of the alternator. The circuit is protected by a 40amp maxifuse and connects to the main relay harness via a 75amp powerpole connector.

Here is a look at the alternator connection. The tap here is where the old alternator wire goes.

Craig
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but is very helpful. Does anyone have pics of what VetteNuts72 posted? All I'm getting is 2 red x's. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight relay wiring

Quick Reply: Headlight relay wiring