C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a "Lars " in Florida:

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 03:36 AM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Found a "Lars " in Florida:

Lars, I had to take my 'Vette in to see the "doctor" as it was making a strange noise (see UPDATE on cam button). These guys are seriously smart about engines and musclecars in particular, just like you. If I didn't live so far away from you I would be a loyal customer of yours.

Here's what they did in less than 2 days. Diagnos engine noise, r&r timing gear to fix noise, adjust valves, "race prep" my somewhat troublesome quadrajet, fix choke also. And discover that timing has been way off due to distributor needing calibration and adjustments (Mallory Unilite). This they believe was a contributing factor to engine running rich at idle but lean at full throttle and not having much ooomph past 4000 rpm. Re-did springs and adjusted plate inside the distributor. Set full advance for 36 deg to come in at 3000 rpm. They say it should be a bit more "peppy" now. I can't wait!

I hope everyone out there that has "disappointing" engine performance won't give up until you find a "Lars" in your town.

Thank you Lars for all the support you offer this Forum. I still plan on having you take a look at the Quadrajet in the future...

Regards, Mark :D :D :D :D :flag :chevy
Old 11-15-2001, 09:04 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Found a "Lars " in Florida: (marky mark)

What city is this guy in?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:53 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, yeah. If your not going to have your home town under your name, at LEAST tell us so that the rest of us Florida guys might have a chance to visit the guy. :smash: Does he have a driveway and what kind of beer does he drink!!! :lol: :D :cheers:
Old 11-15-2001, 12:10 PM
79blackbat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Miami and haven't had much luck finding a "Lars" in my area. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-15-2001, 02:23 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry fellas. I'm not trying to keep this a secret or anything.

The name of the shop is "Gary Johns Automotive Machine", in Jacksonville Fla. The contact is his Gary Johns himself or his son Chad. Phone # is 904-388-8808. Somewhat of a local legend as far as performance is concerned. They do not take personal checks or credit cards (these guys are old school). Hope this helps.

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 11-15-2001, 02:44 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Congratulations on your find. Lars is such an amazing source of help to all of us that live in his neighborhood. Luckily for us he doesn't take personal checks or credit cards either, just beer. :cheers: :cool:
Old 11-15-2001, 03:06 PM
Landshark
Pro

For those a little farther North - Erwin at Erwin's Garage in Tallahassee is a wizard as well and very reasonable, just be prepared to leave it for a while as he's pretty much a one man shop and stays super busy.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:23 AM
kennycarpenter
Advanced

Also in Florida, west palm beach is Jeff Burbett, a die hard chevy performance guy who loves corvettes, he drives a 500hp small block monte carlo which he would trade me when he worked on my vette. He works at firestone in the Palm beach lakes mall. Now i'm in AZ I end up calling him all the time when I'm doing repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To Found a "Lars " in Florida:

Quick Reply: Found a "Lars " in Florida: