C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Lock Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default still struggling

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Been dinking around a little
My new pigtails aren't lettered but from pictures it appears that the pigtail wires are in he right place. when i match the pins to the harness in the car all the colors match. not sure who i ordered pigtails and switches I believe Ecklers. at any rate when i plug the passenger side switch in the fuse blows. I tried what chrisNY did by taking one of the door ground wires to the black wire from drivers side and fuse held, actuator clicked but didn't work. when i tried driver side switch it blew the fuse. i think i am destined to manually unlocking my doors!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM
chrisNY
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you got power, and your actuators work when your connect them to a 12v, then its gatta be a wiring thing, i know the the system had me pulling hair out, if its not perfect it will pop fuses. if it doesnt pop the fuse with everything connected and only pops when you try the switch, then try changing the grounds around on the pass side. one from the door to the bottem 2 pins, and the other from the door up to the 3 pin side. also the switches i got from ecklers sucked big time, i got generic ones from advanced, 10 times better. the first time i plugged in ecklers the pins sunk into the switch and shorted it out. i also took the wires out of the pigtails, and connected 1 at a time to find where i was having the problem, worked much better. i know i went threw about 20 fuses to figure it out.

Last edited by chrisNY; 09-23-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: new info
Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisNY
if you got power, and your actuators work when your connect them to a 12v, then its gatta be a wiring thing, i know the the system had me pulling hair out, if its not perfect it will pop fuses. if it doesnt pop the fuse with everything connected and only pops when you try the switch, then try changing the grounds around on the pass side. one from the door to the bottem 2 pins, and the other from the door up to the 3 pin side. also the switches i got from ecklers sucked big time, i got generic ones from advanced, 10 times better. the first time i plugged in ecklers the pins sunk into the switch and shorted it out. i also took the wires out of the pigtails, and connected 1 at a time to find where i was having the problem, worked much better. i know i went threw about 20 fuses to figure it out.
It has to be the switch or pigtail. without the switch pugged in everything is fine. Plug in driver switch still okay plug in the passenger side blows the fuse. I did try as you taking one door ground wire back to the black wire in the harness. Can hear the right actuator click and fuse doesnt blow but does if when using the driver side switch. Obviously still have something wrong. You are right about Ecklers switches. First did same as yours, sent them back and got new ones. Still trying to figure this out. About ready to say forget it
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
chrisNY
Racer

take the wires out of the pigtails, that way you can move them around. mine did the same after i hooked them up close to right, but it was the pass side blowing the fuse drivers side was fine soon as i plug in pass side and tried it, pop another fuse. also which pin the black wire is going to (the one connected the doors) try that on the other bottem pin.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Tomjacksonn@live.com
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

These diagrams are great! Where can I find them for my 78 power door locks? Thanks a million!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Tomjacksonn@live.com
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great diagrams! What manual were these copied from? The service manual? I have a 78 Pace car and the power locks are in opp.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Originally Posted by Tomjacksonn@live.com
Great diagrams! What manual were these copied from? The service manual? I have a 78 Pace car and the power locks are in opp.
The 78 should be the same, but not sure, been awhile
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomjacksonn@live.com
Wow...this thread has legs!

So the answer is in 1978, Chevrolet published an 11 x 17 Corvette Electrical Troubleshooting Manual and it is great! Not only are there color-coded wiring schematics but describes the circuit operation while showing location of components. A tremendous resource for any 1978 owner.

I have picked up a couple both from swap meets and eBay so they seem to be plentiful.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Jody Hall
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pj_corvette
Hi
I have a bit of a problem with my power locks on my '78 vette. I've been debugging them this weekend but can't get them working 100%.

Problem is, on the passenger side (PS), when I hit the lock switch, not enough power gets sent to the actuators to move the locks as they should. My voltmeter reads only about 8 volts reaching the actuators when the PS switch is used, compared to about 12 volts when the Driver's side switch is used.

So, here's what I debugged:
From the PS switch, around 12 volts leave out of the pink and purple wires when I hit the PS switch. So far so good, and the switch is thus not the problem.

But, only about 8 of these 12 volts reach the pink and purple wires on the Driver Side. The remaining 4 volts are getting lost somewhere within the dash.

Using my acrobatic skills, I got under the dash on the driver's side. I could see the pink and purple wires coming in from the driver's door. But, I was surprised to see that they do not go directly to the pink/purple wires on the passenger side. Rather, they connect to two sets of wires that come out from under the dash. One set has a white wire and a green wire coiled around each other. The other set has a brown wire and a blue wire. The purple wire went to one of these sets, while the pink went to the other.

Has anyone noticed this? Why do the pink/purple wires on the Driver's side not go directly to the pink/purple wires on the passenger side? What are these two sets of wires for? (the white wire and green wire set, and the brown wire and blue wire set). Any tips on debugging where the voltage is getting lost?

Thanks
PJ
Feel your pain today for sure.....

I got mine sorted. Heading out to get lock actuator servos now. Anyhows, just got most of my problems sorted due to this thread. Once I saw the schematics I could understand why when one lock switch goes bad they both quit working. I had a few more problems with Vet Vet.... :P So I made a video to go along with all this great information.

Quick Reply: Power Lock Wiring