C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
79vette90
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1979 Brake Light Problem

My driver side brake light has been acting very strange. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it's not working, if I turn on the driver side directional and then step on the brake, the brake light will work until I use the passenger side directional. Once I use the passenger side directional, the driver side brake light stops working. So far I have cleaned the ground connection to the frame, replaced the socket and replaced the bulb. I'm looking for any other ideas on what could be causing the problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the wiring for the brake and turn signals goes through the turn signal switch. The fact that the brake light works after operating the signal switch one way and doesn't when it operates the other way suggests that you might need a new switch. Fortunately they're not that expensive but they are a bit of a pain to install.

Rick B.

Quick Reply: 1979 Brake Light Problem