C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vansteel Coil-Over Packages

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Vansteel Coil-Over Packages

Interested if anyone has installed the Vansteel coil overs for front, rear or both. Whats your opinions ? Thinking about going to this set-up for a track car.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am prepared to make this mod also soooooo
Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try posting in C2. JohnZ has worked on a project with them.
I don't think he looks at this section.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I've sold about 15 kits so far but I haven't had any feed back yet. I'm guessing project cars and cars are starting to go to storage and getting work done. Some just don't call back either to give feed back.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I should be installing my rear kit in the next few weeks..already have the meyer front conversion.

Nick
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM
bahamasair
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of the fronts. I cant really give much in the way of feedback since my car is in pieces still. I will say they look well made and are very attractive
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Tom Stieren
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete vansteel front end

I have a complete van steel front end on my 68, control arms and coilover shocks. It all went together nicely had to do some grinding on the upper spring seats for the coilovers to clear.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an expert on front and rear suspension install.
Send me a free "test" package and I'll give you some detailed feedback within 24 hours of being visited by the brown truck.

where's your xmas spirit????
Ricky Bobbi says baby jesus would agree with me

Currently I have the VBP perf plus suspension package but would consider coilovers on all four corners in the future after a paint job and 6spd.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I am going to be track testing my QA-1 dual adjust coil overs as soon as I get my 13 inch disk setup with air ducting done. The front tires will be 295/17 R-6's

I'm doing the testing for two other c-3's so they don't have to be changing springs or purchase other parts.

What kind of brakes and motor do you have?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=gkull;1562962929]I am going to be track testing my QA-1 dual adjust coil overs ....

I'm already prepared to listen...

I'll be interested in seen a hard track test of these kits, so pls hurry up
Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by gkull
I am going to be track testing my QA-1 dual adjust coil overs as soon as I get my 13 inch disk setup with air ducting done. The front tires will be 295/17 R-6's

I'm doing the testing for two other c-3's so they don't have to be changing springs or purchase other parts.

What kind of brakes and motor do you have?
Don't you have the semi-coilovers though? You will notice a difference over stock. I most certainly did when I had them in. Your going to have to play around with the setting for awhile since you have the doubles with 576 different options.

Dedicated track cars really shouldn't use QA1's imo. They are good for guys that like to go out every once-in-a-while and for street guys.

Difference between semi-coilover and true coilovers.(I know, I need better pics )

Semi-coilovers
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1913

True coilovers
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1935
Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Don't you have the semi-coilovers though?
Difference between semi-coilover and true coilovers.(I know, I need better pics )
At some point you have to make some cost decisions. My problem was my fenders were touching down on the sidewall of my 11X25 goodyear slicks on uneven pavement on the track when braking. So I had exceeded my 550 coil springs and shock setup. I really considered 700# or 800#, but then you are stuck again on one setting. If I'm at the track now and I touch down on the tires. I can roar into the pits and make a compression or ride height adjustment very quick. Anyway i figured that I will run my stock A-arms until they get smashed up.

I also went with Semi-coilovers to save about $500 over your $1300 kit. My front brakes, QA-1's, front tire setup was already over $4000.

You guys would be a cut above the competion if you offered all the spring rates instead of those multi weight SB a BBC coil springs

Last edited by gkull; 11-30-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by gkull
At some point you have to make some cost decisions. I went with Semi-coilovers to save about $500 over your $1300 kit. My front brakes, QA-1's, front tire setup was already over $4000.

You guys would be a cut above the competion if you offered all the spring rates instead of those multi weight SB a BBC coil springs
I totally agree with you on cost and it is VERY understandable.

I'm not sure what you were told when you purchased the semi-coilovers from whoever you purchased them from but QA1 only offers 3 springs for those, 350's 450's & 550's. I offer all 3 all though I only list 2. The 550's are a special order as I don't stock them but are available. When we 1st start development w/QA1 they only offered the 2 rates which are on the site and it will be updated shortly.

We will be working with Hyperco to have more spring rates available for the semi-coilovers. QA1 used to use variable rates but have changed to linear rates which I want to go back to with the help of Hyperco. For true coilovers I have them listed the same way BUT again there are different rates that can be used. You just have to call and ask. There are a total of 22 rates. That would probably confuse most and is why we just baseline. However, I will, if there is a way to put something on the site that mentions custom rates and to call. I'm glad you said something about it, thanks.

QA1 is hard to work with on some things. You'll also find that the spring is a 1/4" to skinny on the top(1/8" on each side) and I can't get them to make that change either. You shouldn't have any problems on the install b/c once they are in they won't move but a "perfect fit" would be great from the start.

Feedback is always good and I'll be waiting hear your results.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

OK, now I'm a little confused. I'm looking at the pictures, but please someone describe the difference between semi-coilovers and coil overs.
Maybe you could get one of the three big Vette mags to do a conversion with before and after data and perspectives. What does going to coil over suspensions do for your ride, handling, and weight? Front and back. Maybe some skidpad and slalom tests too. They can use my car if they want. My 79 has stock type front with Bilstein shocks and stock type rear with a glass spring and Bilsteins and the biggest sway bars I could buy back in the day, and 275 17" and 18" tires. I'm one of those good guys that drives hard on the street and canyon roads, but will take it to the track maybe twice a year. Should I do this?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
strokervette
Racer

Let me get this right, on the semi-coilovers the bottom of the spring is supported by the spring retainer and the two screw mounts on the shock to the underside of the A-arm? That seems like alot of stress to those two little screws! It seems like the best way to go is with the full coilover regardless of how many options there are with rate adjustments. I would be nervous about the screws coming out with all that pressure from the weight of the car and the spring.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

semi coilover, fits in place of your standard shock absorber and spring. The shock has a bottom mount for the coil spring, but the top mounts in the standard spring pocket in the chassis.

True coil over (along with custom upper and lower a arms) Means the shock has both the top and bottom spring mounts.

Nick
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I totally agree with you on cost and it is VERY understandable.

I'm not sure what you were told when you purchased the semi-coilovers from whoever you purchased them from but QA1 only offers 3 springs for those, 350's 450's & 550's. I offer all 3 all though I only list 2. The 550's are a special order as I don't stock them but are available. When we 1st start development w/QA1 they only offered the 2 rates which are on the site and it will be updated shortly.
I added somethings to my upper post. I called VB&P. I did not get good answers about semi-coil overs. They were also selling the multi-rate spring sets. So I called QA-1 to get REAL information.

They sell 250/350/450/550# and with a little research each pound rating corrosponds to the weight of the front of your vehicle. Like 350# might be for 1600-1800 pound front ends. So a car that is true 50-50 weight bias and 3400 pounds like a Vette would need the 350# set. Don't quote me on the numbers because I don't have the sheet in front of me.

Then you have to bring in the type of front tires you have as to the amount of weight x-fer. 11X25 slicks and stomping on the brakes really slows you down where a 245/50/15 might only generate 1/2 the weight x-fer. So I bought two # sets for testing

Get notified of new replies

To Vansteel Coil-Over Packages

Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
semi coilover, fits in place of your standard shock absorber and spring. The shock has a bottom mount for the coil spring, but the top mounts in the standard spring pocket in the chassis.

True coil over (along with custom upper and lower a arms) Means the shock has both the top and bottom spring mounts.

Nick
OK, thanks. Now I see the difference.
Bee Jay
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Van Steel

Originally Posted by strokervette
Let me get this right, on the semi-coilovers the bottom of the spring is supported by the spring retainer and the two screw mounts on the shock to the underside of the A-arm? That seems like alot of stress to those two little screws! It seems like the best way to go is with the full coilover regardless of how many options there are with rate adjustments. I would be nervous about the screws coming out with all that pressure from the weight of the car and the spring.
No the shock does not get mounted like stock shocks do. These mount to the top side. You can remove the 2 nuts or drill them out. If your pockets are looking ruff, I would recommend making a plate and welding it in, buy new stock lower a-arms or buy tubular lower a-arms.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
strokervette
Racer

No the shock does not get mounted like stock shocks do. These mount to the top side. You can remove the 2 nuts or drill them out. If your pockets are looking ruff, I would recommend making a plate and welding it in, buy new stock lower a-arms or buy tubular lower a-arms.
Oh, Ok. that's better. Thanks for clearing that one up. Although if I wanted to do coilovers I would be getting the full system.....Way coool!!!!

Quick Reply: Vansteel Coil-Over Packages