C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me identify my motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
goathearder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me identify my motor

Hey Everyone,
Back in 2001 my sister was driving the vette (long story) and she blew the motor. We had a new motor put in at the local chevy dealer and now I am trying to find out what kind of motor was put in it.

I called the Chevy dealer and all the can tell me is it was a "Target 350 motor". Does anyone know what this means?

Is there something on the engine I can look at to see what it is?

I really wanna find the specs on this motor so I can find out what are some reasonable updates for it and what I should expect from a baseline dyno.

Thanks for any help!

John
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need some numbers off the engine. Rear pad behind drivers side head. Also numbers on front pad passenger side head. Also whatever numbers you can find on the side of the block.

Start with these.

Last edited by dannyman; 12-29-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by goathearder
Hey Everyone,
Back in 2001 my sister was driving the vette (long story) and she blew the motor. We had a new motor put in at the local chevy dealer and now I am trying to find out what kind of motor was put in it.

I called the Chevy dealer and all the can tell me is it was a "Target 350 motor". Does anyone know what this means?

Is there something on the engine I can look at to see what it is?

I really wanna find the specs on this motor so I can find out what are some reasonable updates for it and what I should expect from a baseline dyno.

Thanks for any help!

John
A Target engine is a generic replacement engine designed for everything from station wagons to pickup trucks and anything in betweeen. It has low compression 8:1 cast dish top pistons, stock cam, nothing special. You might get 4-bolt mains but that is about all you can expect. It is simmilar to an L-48 performance wise.

Did you need more specifics?

-Mark.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 PM
goathearder
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingr69
A Target engine is a generic replacement engine designed for everything from station wagons to pickup trucks and anything in betweeen. It has low compression 8:1 cast dish top pistons, stock cam, nothing special. You might get 4-bolt mains but that is about all you can expect. It is simmilar to an L-48 performance wise.

Did you need more specifics?

-Mark.

Hey Mark,
That is great info, just what I was looking for. 1 more question for you though. I just got a set of Dart Iron Eagle SS cylinder heads that I want to put on. I already have Petronix ignition, Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and 1903 carb, and long tube headers. Will putting the heads on be worth it with the stock cam or should I wait till I can do the heads and the cam at the same time? I don't mind doing them seperatly but I don't wanna put the heads on without a cam unless I will see a decent gain.

Also, the heads are 72cc combustion chambers so can I use like a shim gasket or something to bump the compression up even more or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

John
Old 12-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Do a Google search for GM Target Master 350 and you'll find lots of info. Should be 250 HP assembled south of the border.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:52 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I put one of those Target Master 350's in an old truck of mine about 10 years ago. That was a stout engine right out of the crate.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

They were good basic engines. Most had the *929* cam in them for pre-emission deals. I think most had 1.94 valves...but that may not be true in all cases. I installed a lot of them in the early 80's and they were 4 bolt main, cast crank and pistons with the 929 cam and 1.94 heads. I think later ones ended up with 1.72 intake valves.

The heads will help. I'd mill them and run a .015 gasket to get compression up.

JIM
Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by goathearder
Hey Mark,
That is great info, just what I was looking for. 1 more question for you though. I just got a set of Dart Iron Eagle SS cylinder heads that I want to put on. I already have Petronix ignition, Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and 1903 carb, and long tube headers. Will putting the heads on be worth it with the stock cam or should I wait till I can do the heads and the cam at the same time? I don't mind doing them seperatly but I don't wanna put the heads on without a cam unless I will see a decent gain.

Also, the heads are 72cc combustion chambers so can I use like a shim gasket or something to bump the compression up even more or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

John
John,
I would use those Dart heads AND swap the cam if I were in your shoes. That is a good time to do both. The Target engine probably has 76cc heads that don't flow as well as the Darts so you will get a performance upgrade. Pick a cam to match the application and the compression ratio and you should be set for now.

-Mark.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 PM
goathearder
Instructor

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys! It looks like I will just do the cam swap at the same time as the heads, that should make quite the difference in the fun factor
Old 12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

You might also read this article as Chevy HP built a Goodwrench 350 (Target Master) in various stages.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ild/index.html
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
hgm
Instructor

Mortec is another source to identify Chevy parts by casting #

http://www.mortec.com/
Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
goathearder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke94
You might also read this article as Chevy HP built a Goodwrench 350 (Target Master) in various stages.
That is a great article! It is good to know what kind of mods the engine can handle. Looks like a Comp Cam Energy cam will be my next purchase
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
That's a good article ... but ... usually GM Goodwrench refers to universal 350 w/ all-new parts ... while GM Target has lotsa used/refurbished parts. Essentially same motor/performance but one's all-new & other's not.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it say Hecho en Mexico on it anywhere?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackson
That's a good article ... but ... usually GM Goodwrench refers to universal 350 w/ all-new parts ... while GM Target has lotsa used/refurbished parts. Essentially same motor/performance but one's all-new & other's not.
Jackson,
With all due respect - where did you get that idea? Target motors were all brand new parts AFAIK.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me identify my motor

Quick Reply: Please help me identify my motor