C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 05:42 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!! (vettedan)

hmm i may have to look into going to harbor freight again... i had a screw driver (plain yellow plastic) have the plastic break off in my hand... its not a craftsman

ZD
Old 11-30-2001, 06:17 PM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!! (ZD75blue)

Harbor Freight has lots of tools for the average home shop. I don't think I would use many of them if I had to make a living using the tools but for the home user most of them are fine. I normally keep an eye on the sale fliers they send out and rarely buy anything from them not on sale. Day after thanksgiving they had 22 piece combination wrench sets for $8 in a roll up. I bought a few sets to keep in various trucks and outbuildings I have. :smash:
Old 11-30-2001, 08:05 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!! (zwede)

I had to do some frame welding near the fuel pump. That was scarry, but without incident.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:09 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!! (zwede)

Glad to hear no damage. :blueangel:

I was welding in the garage recently and had the stereo cranking at the same time. I had forgotten to cover my smoke alarm which is wired into a central system.

Not too long into the job I look up and the fire chief from the local department was standing in the doorway of my garage shaking his head. My father came speeding down the street because I couldn't hear the phone so they called him on the call list as a backup so they didn't have to break the doors down.

Quick Reply: Tip Of The Day: NEVER weld a windshield frame without a welding blanket!!!!!