C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xmas Parades

Old 12-04-2001, 05:21 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Xmas Parades

Ive been asked by some local Corvette owners to join them in a Chrismas parade this weekend, Have any of you guys done this, and is there a problem with the car over heating? The parade route is only about 2.5 to 3 miles long.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:27 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Xmas Parades (1LE)

Did a Halloween parade last month. Appx. 2 miles long and no problem with my car overheating. Just had to throw it into neutral a couple of times and rev it to circulate the water
Old 12-05-2001, 05:25 PM
jbroughton
Racer

I've been in 3 over the last few weeks with our local club......no problems. In fact, at the one this past Sunday one couple drove their '68 L88 427! And it was 60+ degrees outside. If that monster can do it, anybody can!

Go for it!
Jeff Broughton
Old 12-06-2001, 08:36 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Have to tell you a "funny parade" story - well at least it seems funny now.

Last year I had just got my 76 back from its 18 month melt-down and was proud as a new daddy. My youngest son and I decided we would enter it into our local Christmas parade which consisted of mostly local church floats, everyone who has a horse, the 4-wheeler hunting club, the BMX club, and the High School band. Of course, old Saint Nick was at the end of the parade. The Memphis corvette club was supposed to be there last year as well.Not an earth shattering or record breaking parade, but good fun.

Well it turned cold as you know what and even started a light snow. The Corvette club pulled out but we were determined to stick with it. As it turned out I had registered late and my car was next to last in the parade, right behind one of the horse groups and right in front of the jolly old fat man.

The parade route itself was only about a mile and I had absolutely no trouble with overheating. I did put the t-top back on my side as it as freezing. My only problem presented itself when I found out I would be running a slalom course behind the horses. They tried very hard to have "shovelers" but they definitely didn't get it all. I have no idea what they fed those horses but there must have been a lot of it. I spend the better part of an hour and a half looking like an Indy driver trying to warm up his tires.

To add to that dilemma (sp?) for the entire period all I heard was HO HO HO - MERRY CHRISTMAS amplified directly behind me. How many times can that be said in an hour and a half? I lost count somewhere around half a million. To this day, I think I am traumatized by those words.

All in all, we had a great time. We threw candy to the kids and the "Cool Car" compliments and looks on the faces made it all worth while. Would I do it again - only if I am NOT behind the horses and well away from Santa's float.

STW
Robert
76Stinger

[Modified by 76Stinger, 6:38 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 10:33 AM
1LE
Drifting

Default Re: Xmas Parades (76Stinger)

Great story, I have the same fear of having to be behind the horses. I guess I will do the parade, the weather here is suppose to be around 50 for the high, By parade time, (sundown) it will be tin the 40's. No rain or snow in the forcast.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:45 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Would I do it again - only if I am NOT behind the horses and well away from Santa's float.
Great Story...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Modified by Silvr77, 2:46 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 10:57 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

...local Christmas parade which consisted of mostly local church floats, everyone who has a horse, the 4-wheeler hunting club, the BMX club, and the High School band. Of course, old Saint Nick was at the end of the parade...
Sounds just like an East Texas Christmas Parade. :cheers:
Old 12-06-2001, 11:34 AM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Xmas Parades (Mack76)

My club has a parade tonite! The Chamber of Commerce asked us to supply the Corvettes and they will supply the "Miss McAlester" contestants. One per car. We will have plenty of cars cause there is only 12 contestants. Some of the people in the club don't want anyone sitting on their car. Which I don't understand but it ain't my car so, so be it! This will be the 3rd Christmas parade we've done and about the 20th overall. There announcer always says the same thing now. "And here comes everyone's favorite entrants, McAlester's very own Corvette Club!" :cool:

[Modified by Casper, 9:36 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 01:09 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Xmas Parades (Casper)

The GNOCC here invited me to participate in recent homecoming parades and last Sunday a Christmas parade. I LOVED IT!! :cheers:

It was tons of fun and I always meet really great people at these events. The crowds love the cars and we all received compliments along the way. Kids are always pretty animated about how cool the cars are and stuff. Not to mention the beautiful women you get to ferry around (although the homecoming queen candidates are usually underage, 17-years olds sure look different than they did when I was that age :D )

I don't mind girls sitting on the back..especially a pair! :cheers: I just put down a 100% cotton blanket and fold it under the lip of the deck and close it. No problem and the rider doesn't scratch the car. The deck is more than strong enough to support the weight.

The whole point really for me is it's a chance to get out with others of like interests and do stuff as a group.

That's one of the reason's I love owning CORVETTES. :cheers: :lol:
Old 12-06-2001, 09:47 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Xmas Parades (Cajun75)

This thread has only depressed me because I can't have girls sit on the back ;(

Get notified of new replies

To Xmas Parades

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xmas Parades