C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapt 6 speed tremec on a 454 C3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
nicoduc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapt 6 speed tremec on a 454 C3?

I would like to adapt a 6 speed gearbox instead of my TH400 on my 454 corvette 74.

I've already adapted a manual transmission on a corvette C3 with auto trans. So i know the different things i have to adapt.

In france, we don't have any GM T56 6 speed from F-body.
I've found a 6 speed T56 which comes from a mustang gt 2002 4.6l.
I don't know if i can buy this part and adapt on my 454 corvette.

I have to change a lot of things : Bellhousing is sure, .......... but other parts????

Here is a picture of the part i would like to buy :

Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
breathial
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoduc
I would like to adapt a 6 speed gearbox instead of my TH400 on my 454 corvette 74.

I've already adapted a manual transmission on a corvette C3 with auto trans. So i know the different things i have to adapt.

In france, we don't have any GM T56 6 speed from F-body.
I've found a 6 speed T56 which comes from a mustang gt 2002 4.6l.
I don't know if i can buy this part and adapt on my 454 corvette.

While I understand the idea behind using the T-56, it is my understanding that it will not handle the power that is produced by a healthy big-block, unless you purchase a T-56 built to run behind the Dodge Viper (V-12, 8 liters) engine.

I would suggest the TKO-600, built by Tremec. Your gear-spread will be a little bigger (good, with a healthy 454), allowing you to use more of your engine's RPM band. And then, you'll have the overdrive, whenever you want. In my opinion, there is little advantage of having 6 gears versus 5 gears, for real-world driving. (If you're only racing, that's different. )

The beauty is that you can buy the TKO-600 new, for less than a used T-56, and the thing will survive ANYTHING you can throw at it.

Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Adapt 6 speed tremec on a 454 C3?