C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pep Boys

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 07:12 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pep Boys (adamw1979)

I'm curious about people's opinion of Pep Boys service.
Often I hear people say they won't take their cars there for work.

Would you take your Vette there?
Would you take your Non-Vette there?
Would you not take anything there?
Do you buy parts there?

Thanks!
1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Oil and coolant and prepackaged fluids, etc., ONLY.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:22 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: Pep Boys (adamw1979)

When I was in San Diego, we had an old '67 Chevelle that me and some people in my auto shop class worked on. Since we had a guy who worked at Pep boys, we bought stuff from them at a discounted price. The bad thing about pep boys is they don't keep your phone number in the computer like other places Ie. Kragen or NAPA so if you loose your receipt you're screwed. I wouldn't even think about taking my vette there, but like many people here, I'd much prefer doing the work myself.

:cheers:
Old 12-12-2001, 02:33 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Pep Boys (RJR99SS)

Do my own work, if I must go to someone it is a vette shop only(even though prices are to high) parts only at manny, moe and jack :D
Old 12-12-2001, 03:33 AM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pep Boys (gkull)

I have a pending law suite about mentally challanged service mangers. I don't want any money I want two morons jobs.
What the heck would make you want two moron jobs at Pep Boys for??? Wouldn't it kill you working 80 hours a week?? :lol: :lol:

I took my MB560 SEC to Pep Boys after I shredded two tires (sunday, normal tire store closed, I was towed there). I bought 4 new tires, balanced and got an alignment. Car shook like hell above 60. I took it back. They looked it over and said I need new ball joints and an idler arm. Since I just bought tires and had it aligned there they would give me a break and only charge $450. I could get it back the next afternon. I went home and the next morning went to my normal tire store (they know me well as I normally buy two sets of tires a year there). They ran it up on the alignment rack and the alignment was off so I had them align it. Had them check the wheel balance and it was off so I had them balance it. It cost me $60 for that.

It went back to Pep Boys with the bill from my normal tire place and asked for the service manager. He had "driven" the car the day before to verify the shakes it had. I took him for a "test drive"....... At 130 mph, I started talking like an italian (using my hands a lot when I spoke :D ) By 145 mph he was looking like he was ready to :U as I still was only only seldom touching the steering wheel :lol: :lol: I asked him if he needed more proof as I still had at least 15 MPH to go. He said no, we could go back to the shop and he would give me the money I paid the second store for alignment and balancing. He also said he would call out a tech to go over the alignment and balance machines as they definately were not right. I almost thought I would have to clean a brown stain off the passenger seat leather :jester

Living in a desert does have its nice points :D

Quick Reply: Pep Boys