C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single piece oil pan gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
AutoX-Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the one I used was a mr.gasket.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
Can anyone recommend a single piece oil pan gasket for a 1970 350? I would like to try one of these to see if I can finally get rid of the leek.
for '70 sbc w/ OE pan ... FelPro OS34509T includes "snapups" to hold gasket in place while you align pan, not certain if 09 still comes w/ all new bolts&washers but is available locally. Read & follow instructions. All your stuff must be very clean & very straight.

-edit- I mispoke initially & have corrected.
OS34509T correct for 55-74sbc w/ OE pan.
OS34510T correct for 55-85 sbc having '75 or later OE pan or most aftermarket pan.

Last edited by jackson; 03-31-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
DL9179
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure you get the right size for your oil pan or else it will leak even worse !
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
DL9179
Instructor

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago those 4 screw in clips worked great , made it a whole lot easier to install upside down ! I also did put sum in the corners so far no leaks
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
ram100987
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have oil leaks then I replace the crappy cork or rubber gaskets with a one peice fel-pro thick blue gasket with steel inserts. Never had a leak since
Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Originally Posted by lars
Just to contribute a differing opinion....

I just finished building an engine using the 1-piece pan gasket for the first time. It's the first time I've ever had a pan gasket leak - the thing leaked like a sieve at the timing chain cover and at the rear. I ended up pulling everything back apart, cleaning it up well, and running a big bead of UltraBlack sealant on both sides of the gasket at the front and rear areas of the gasket. It now seals as well as the standard 3-piece gasket set...
Lars
I'd like to know what part# you used cause never had one leak like a "sieve" unless it was the wrong part# installed.

Depending on aftermarket parts combinations (this is rare), we have needed to place a "small" dab of RTV in the tri-corners where the interface between timing cover, block and gasket meet to keep the correct loading (same applies to main cap tri-corner). Even then we only saw light seapage with oil dye and a black light.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GasketDude
I'd like to know what part# you used cause never had one leak like a "sieve" unless it was the wrong part# installed.

Depending on aftermarket parts combinations (this is rare), we have needed to place a "small" dab of RTV in the tri-corners where the interface between timing cover, block and gasket meet to keep the correct loading (same applies to main cap tri-corner). Even then we only saw light seapage with oil dye and a black light.

I've been sold on 1pc felpro for sbc for years and I do recommend ... but I've seen several instances where they leaked badly ... bent/warped/dirty sheetmetal ... and/or put too much silicone on it ... and/or overtightening spit it out or into pan ... or (as you said) they picked the wrong p/n. I've not seen it all and won't, but I've not seen a felpro 1pc for sbc fail that was both picked & installed right.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
76vette454
Drifting

I just bought a felpro oil pan gasket for a bbc. got no new bolts. Verry dissapointing since I am a 30 mile ride to store and was expecting to get new bolts. Bought from ABC auto parts in E. Texas. I was told by a store employee the bolts were included, After purchase, they said they were not, some one made a mistake. Guess who gets to take another 30 mile joy ride?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 76vette454
I just bought a felpro oil pan gasket for a bbc. got no new bolts. Verry dissapointing since I am a 30 mile ride to store and was expecting to get new bolts. Bought from ABC auto parts in E. Texas. I was told by a store employee the bolts were included, After purchase, they said they were not, some one made a mistake. Guess who gets to take another 30 mile joy ride?
What was p/n of fp BBC op gasket you bought?

I referenced only sbc above.

I dunno about BBC ... but ...

The felpro sbc 1pc op gaskets I reference above are NOT from felpro's "performance" line of gaskets ... however, fp "performance" sbc 1pc pan gaskets do NOT come w/ bolts etc. IIRC, felpro's "performance" line of sbc op gaskets have a p/n beginning w/ "18xx". Regardless, I've used NON-performance OS34510T 1pc sbc op gasket I reference above on several true race circle track motors with excellent results.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Corteco one piece gasket (part of complete engine package though), little blue RTV, no leaks whatsoever.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ram100987
I used to have oil leaks then I replace the crappy cork or rubber gaskets with a one peice fel-pro thick blue gasket with steel inserts. Never had a leak since
Question? Are the steel inserts at each bolt hole and do they keep you from over torqueing the pan bolts? I have to admit that I have tightened those bolts too tight which resulted in leaks.

Quick Reply: Single piece oil pan gasket!