C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheld trim ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:03 AM
je68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windsheld trim ?

I removed my windsheld and had the trim polished and am not happy with the header to many dents. My question is can you replace the header without removeing the windsheld. It might take some time to find and have a new one polished.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:55 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Windsheld trim ? (je68)

Do you mean the stainless strip across the top? Thats the first thing you remove in a windshield changeout. The glass is the last.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:55 AM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Windsheld trim ? (71,454,4spd)

I am tlaking about the SS header it is about 4" wide.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:56 AM
figment3
Instructor

yes.all this can be removed without taking the glass out
Old 12-11-2001, 12:23 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

I am tlaking about the SS header it is about 4" wide.
JE: You can remove this piece without removing the windshield. I just took all of the stainless off of my car to expose the bare frame so as to check for rust and to rustproof it. Here is what I found:

1. You will need to take at least one of the large striking plates off of one of the corners of the windshield. These are the pieces that the top latches to on the outsides. They are large and chrome. These things are kind of difficult to remove without removing the windshield. The way I did it was to cut away some of the excess windshield sealer right in front of these plates. This windshield sealer hides two screws which hold the piece to the windshield frame. The other two screws are on the drivers compartment side of the windshield. One word of caution, be very careful when removing these screws on the windshield side of the frame. If you let the screwdriver get against the windshield, you will likely crack the windshield. The way I did it was to loosen the screw with a screwdriver, and then finish backing it out with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. It is also important to remove enough of the excess sealent. One of these pieces has to be removed as the stainless header fits under them.

2. You DON'T have to remove the center latch plate or the rear-view mirror. These bolt directly to the frame.

3. You will likely find some puddy type of material under the stainless header. You will want to replace this. Here is my original link about the puddy that is there: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=195572 If yours doesn't have this stuff in there, I wouldn't worry about it. However, since you are going to have this trim off, you may want to treat as much of the windshield frame as you can with POR-15. It will prevent it from rusting in the future.

Hope this helps and good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any problems.

dl
Old 12-11-2001, 12:42 PM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Windsheld trim ? (dladd74roadster)

I already refinish the frame and was thinking about not replaceing the puddy and just useing the winsheild seal as this car will not see rain and would make it posable to remove without damage to the ss trim. My trim was glued in with sealer. Also did your car have mounting blocks for the windshile as mine did not.

Old 12-11-2001, 02:24 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

JE: Not sure what you are talking about when referring to "mounting blocks". I have not had the windshield out of my car yet. I just removed all of the trim to check everything for rust. I know that the windshield hasn't been out of the car for the past 17 years that I have owned it. If I had seen any significant rust, I would be removing it post haste but as it is, I am waiting till I begin the frame-off (in another year or so). I have been all over this car though. Describe the mounting blocks so I'll know what to look for.

Also, I responded to one of your post several weeks ago regarding your car. Do you have any other engine pics??? Your car is exactly what my goal is for mine. I planning to build a 454 for my car and get it into the mid-11s. I am building a bulletproof bottom end and plan on running a fairly mild solid roller. What cam are you running. What problems did you run into? etc. etc. etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The only thing about mine is that it will look completely stock except for the hood. I plan on running an L-88 hood to help with clearance.

dl

[Modified by dladd74roadster, 12:29 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 03:16 PM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: Windsheld trim ? (dladd74roadster)

The AIM shows mounting blocks that the windshild sets on. I don't think they were on my car when I took it off but the AIM showes them and most cars have them. I will try to get more pic soon it is kind of apart right now I have installed wiperdoor and all the parts that go with it as they were all missing and short L-88 hood and have removed dash pad. The problem is that every time I take things out I must redo them. So new wire harness and all new vac lines and repaint places that no one will see.

Get notified of new replies

To Windsheld trim ?

Quick Reply: Windsheld trim ?