C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Electric Fans Suppose To Pull Or Push?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are Electric Fans Suppose To Pull Or Push?

When you install an electric fan in place of the stock fan, (motor side of radiator) is it suppose to pull air towards the motor, or push air into the radiator to help cool it?

Also, how many cfm does a stock clutch fan flow? I was told it was about 1250 cfm. I'm about to install a single 16" 3000 cfm electric fan in hopes of helping it cool my motor a little better. Small block 400's run a little warmer than 350's do, ........right now my 406 runs at about 200 degrees.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Pull.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:45 AM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Me2
Pull.
That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure,.....Thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
evalu8r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull is better. When the fan is located in front of the rad it disrupts the the beneficial air flow that you get by driving forward. I've got a 37 Nash that did not have enough space between the motor and rad, and barely stays cool for normal driving. Can't run the a/c or drive on very hot days. I'm working on getting a flex wedged in.

Chris
Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are pushers and there are pullers. Pullers are the most efficient, and the recommended replacement for the water pump fan. Make sure to get fans made to use as pullers when going to electric as there are distinct differences. Make sure that the fans move enough air to provide the cooling you need, and that you seal the fan to radiator connection to create the vacuum for pulling air through your radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Electric Fans Suppose To Pull Or Push?

Quick Reply: Are Electric Fans Suppose To Pull Or Push?