C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, C3 engine's not getting any gas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, C3 engine's not getting any gas.

Hello everyone, I just finished up my post in the "intro" section and couldn't wait to jump in here.

I've got an '82 crossfire Vette that's been stored for five plus years. Well, It's time to get this beauty going. I picked up a new battery, yep I forgot to disconnect it, and started her up only to find out there's no fuel coming through the injectors. I place a shot of gas in each injector and the engine turned over beautifully. Oh, the (short lived) excitement! I checked the fuel filter and it's not jammed up there.

When I stored it I didn't actually intend on storing it but the career got busy, we had a kid and life just got in the way. There was some goose stepping around it in the garage when friends and family showed an interest but it stopped there.

Back to the story, for about five years there was less then 1/4 tank of gas in it, possibly lower. I think the fuel pump was dry and rotted/rusted. Is this possible?

I'm having the tank dropped, cleaned and a new fuel pump installed in a few weeks. Once the engine turns over, the oil, pan & gasket; trans, pan & gasket and other long over due routine maintenance will be done.
The engine's clean and never given me any issues.

I'm also out of touch with the current C3 catalogs/sites to get parts. In the early 90's I used Mid America and ZIP. What's around now and reputable.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks - John
Old 04-19-2008, 05:46 PM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 82crossfirevette
Hello everyone, I just finished up my post in the "intro" section and couldn't wait to jump in here.

I've got an '82 crossfire Vette that's been stored for five plus years. Well, It's time to get this beauty going. I picked up a new battery, yep I forgot to disconnect it, and started her up only to find out there's no fuel coming through the injectors. I place a shot of gas in each injector and the engine turned over beautifully. Oh, the (short lived) excitement! I checked the fuel filter and it's not jammed up there.

When I stored it I didn't actually intend on storing it but the career got busy, we had a kid and life just got in the way. There was some goose stepping around it in the garage when friends and family showed an interest but it stopped there.

Back to the story, for about five years there was less then 1/4 tank of gas in it, possibly lower. I think the fuel pump was dry and rotted/rusted. Is this possible?

I'm having the tank dropped, cleaned and a new fuel pump installed in a few weeks. Once the engine turns over, the oil, pan & gasket; trans, pan & gasket and other long over due routine maintenance will be done.
The engine's clean and never given me any issues.

I'm also out of touch with the current C3 catalogs/sites to get parts. In the early 90's I used Mid America and ZIP. What's around now and reputable.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks - John
I had an '83 camaro with cross-fire and a similar problem. It's likely a bad fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel tank sock. Before you drop the tank, have the fuel system pressure tested.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Thanks Billsfan.

I agree on all three but I don't think I understand the later. Are you talking about disconnecting the line before the engine and checking the pressure in the line given off by the pump? If so I'll look into that. Moving on, I assume the tank needs to be dropped to have the fuel pump changed and tank cleaned.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get an 82 GM Corvette service manual (red cover). It has many good schematics on specific wiring circuits in it. The fuel pump has a fuse, oil pressure switch, and relay in its power distribution path before it gets to the pump.

Dont buy any Chiltons or other type, get the GM manual.

Turn your key on, but dont crank, and listen for the pump to energize. If you dont hear anything, good chance its power related.

As far as catalogs go, I get the Mid America, Zip, VBP, Corvette Central. There is also Wilcox, Van Steel, Muskegon, Guldstrand, Doc Rebuild and others I am forgetting.

Check out the crossfire injection vault for 82 CFI motor stuff too.

Have fun, Brent......
Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Thanks Brent, the "red" GM service manual and Mid America Assembly Manual, in binder format, have been my goto guides since I've had the car. Agreed the Chiltons is crap.

I haven't considered the relay and the pump isn't making any sound, that I've noticed. Would it be audible from the drivers seat? I assume the relay is near the fusebox. Oil Pressure Switch?

I'll head down to the car and service manual in a bit.

Thanks - John
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

The fuel pump relay is located behind the passenger seat. Remove the storage box and you will find it. You do not have to remove the tank to get the fuel pump out. It will come out the top with a little work. Try removing the pigtail socket that goes to the fuel pump above the rear bumper, and check with a volt meter. This will tell if it is a bad fuel pump, or another electrical problem.

If you replace the fuel pump, install the one for a 85. It will provide better fuel pressure for the CFI. There are lots of threads out there to read.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 AM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I would love to DIY this and between you guys and the manuals I think I can.

Here's where I'm at now.

When I turn the ignition the pump is silent. ... I disconnected the wire harness(black/red/tan) before the fuel pump and put a voltage meter on the black and red wires. When I turned the ignition it read 8.59v. I'm getting power at the pump. Is this enough V's? Could this confirm the pump is dead?

Edit: I found some useful info during a search on the forum and have another question. When connecting battery voltage to "terminal G" on the ALCL, where to I get the battery voltage from? I'm off to find the ALCL.

Last edited by 82crossfirevette; 04-20-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it should be 12V. You might have a bad relay with corroded contacts not giving you real power. If this was loaded, it might drop even further.

You can supply 12V from Bat to the terminal G of the ALDL and this will connect directly to your fuel pump. This will either run the pump or determine if you have a bad pump. It is a GM provided troubleshooting tool.

google search "ALDL terminal G'

Brent...
Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

I hooked up 12 volts to test "terminal G" and confirmed the 12v's at the pump with a meter. 12 volts were present and not a sound was heard. I'll order the pump once I remove the old one.

I found the fuel pump removal thread. Cool! Any additional tips or suggestions?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I would love to DIY this and between you guys and the manuals I think I can.

Here's where I'm at now.

When I turn the ignition the pump is silent. ... I disconnected the wire harness(black/red/tan) before the fuel pump and put a voltage meter on the black and red wires. When I turned the ignition it read 8.59v. I'm getting power at the pump. Is this enough V's? Could this confirm the pump is dead?
I sounds like your battery is not fully charged. Check your battery with the voltmeter to be sure. If the battery is only putting out 8.59V, I doubt the engine would crank anyway.

The ALDL connector should also show 12 volt.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
I sounds like your battery is not fully charged. Check your battery with the voltmeter to be sure. If the battery is only putting out 8.59V, I doubt the engine would crank anyway.

The ALDL connector should also show 12 volt.

I got 12 at the ALDL and 12 at the pump with no luck. The battery is new and reading 12v in the dash meter. When I turn the ignition key the engine does try to crank but there's no fuel being pumped. With a shot of gas in each injector the engine will run for a few seconds. If I rigged a drip the engine would run. The 8.59 could've been a crappy connection during my test.

I'll pick up clear tubing tomorrow and remove the gas. There's no rust or corrosion there so hopefully the removal goes smooth.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Unless the tank is 3/4 or more, don't worry about removing the gas. The pump will come out, and shouldn't leak. Pay attention to the wire configuration on the old pump verses the new. If you get the wires crossed the pump will run backwards.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
Unless the tank is 3/4 or more, don't worry about removing the gas. The pump will come out, and shouldn't leak. Pay attention to the wire configuration on the old pump verses the new. If you get the wires crossed the pump will run backwards.

Thanks! Pump running backwards... I'd still be excited to hear it moving.

I though it'd be best to remove the gas since it's 5+ years old. Is it possible to get in there and clean the tank or is it best to leave it alone?

I'll place the order for part(s) once I remove the fuel assembly. Will it be ok/safe to leave the tank open for a few days to a week?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
ribilly
Instructor

Just so we all sleep a bit better please make sure you disconect the battery when you start poking around near the fuel pump or gas tank.

Good luck with your project, at least you know she will run
when you finally get the pump to put some gas in those injectors.

Bill in RI
Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 AM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Rest assure the battery's disconnected.

Thanks - John
Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 AM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Update:

The fuel lines are disconnected and the fuel assembly is no longer attached to the tank, however there's no way to get it out through the top of the body. The fuel assembly Shaft limits the necessary movement. If it were to clear the tank, an inch or so, I'd be able to remove it through the body. The tank needs to be dropped.

Any suggestions on dropping the tank?
* Is it possible to drop the tank a few inches?
* Can I do this without removing the spare tire and assembly?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine sat for 5 years for similar reasons. In that time, the 1/4 tank of gas turned into some non combustionable liquid that looked like watered down 1% milk.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, C3 engine's not getting any gas.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Sean82
Racer

no need to drop the tank.
Remove the fliller cover and rubbber surround
undo the bolt around the flange.
cut the rubber fuel lines.
With a little twisting and shouting the unit will come out the hole.

most of us run the 85 corvette fuel pump.

Send me an pm if you need a pdf of the tank gasket. I had to make my own as the parts store do not have them.

the new rubber lines should cost a couple of $ most places will give you pieces that short.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
82crossfirevette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sean82
no need to drop the tank.
Remove the fliller cover and rubbber surround
undo the bolt around the flange.
cut the rubber fuel lines.
With a little twisting and shouting the unit will come out the hole.

most of us run the 85 corvette fuel pump.

Send me an pm if you need a pdf of the tank gasket. I had to make my own as the parts store do not have them.

the new rubber lines should cost a couple of $ most places will give you pieces that short.
Everything is disconnected with no issues but I need to find the "idea" angle to get this sucker out. I'll keep at it.

I've been told about the 84 & 85 pump. Is there that much of a difference? I assume the hook up is identical.

Thanks, but I found the gasket at Mid Amerca, where I'm ordering the pump from. If they're out I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by pbcanney
mine sat for 5 years for similar reasons. In that time, the 1/4 tank of gas turned into some non combustionable liquid that looked like watered down 1% milk.

This stuff looks like watered down gas but smells ripe. I engaged in a nice hacking session once I got the siphon going. Yeap, I used a clear tube for safety. It was the smell I was sucking in that did it.

Odd, I usually like the smell of gas.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything is disconnected with no issues but I need to find the "idea" angle to get this sucker out. I'll keep at it.

I've been told about the 84 & 85 pump. Is there that much of a difference? I assume the hook up is identical.

Thanks, but I found the gasket at Mid Amerca, where I'm ordering the pump from. If they're out I'll let you know.

This stuff looks like watered down gas but smells ripe. I engaged in a nice hacking session once I got the siphon going. Yeap, I used a clear tube for safety. It was the smell I was sucking in that did it.

Odd, I usually like the smell of gas.
I just disconnected the fuel line up front and let the electric pump dump it into a 5 gallon container. (too many mouthfuls of gas in this lifetime)

Quick Reply: Help, C3 engine's not getting any gas.