C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

failed fan clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Default failed fan clutch

My fan clutch developed a seal leak on my 69SB. Found a great deal on Ebay. It's not a matching numbers car so function was more important than originality. Installed it, drove it on some local roads, had no problem. Took it out on the highway and at about 3,500 RPM heard a loud bang up front and found myself driving over parts of my car. Pulled over found 1/4 of my fan shroud was gone and everything is covered with silicone from the fan clutch. Didnt appear to be any play in fan clutch or water pump bearings and the fan was not interfering with any part of the remaining fan shroud. Drove the car home, pulled the fan clutch and discovered the whole front cover with the coil thermostat was gone! The front cover had destroyed my fan shroud, bent a fan blade and cracked my hood. Has anybody else ever experienced a failure of the front cover detaching from the main body of the fan clutch?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
My fan clutch developed a seal leak on my 69SB. Found a great deal on Ebay. It's not a matching numbers car so function was more important than originality. Installed it, drove it on some local roads, had no problem. Took it out on the highway and at about 3,500 RPM heard a loud bang up front and found myself driving over parts of my car. Pulled over found 1/4 of my fan shroud was gone and everything is covered with silicone from the fan clutch. Didnt appear to be any play in fan clutch or water pump bearings and the fan was not interfering with any part of the remaining fan shroud. Drove the car home, pulled the fan clutch and discovered the whole front cover with the coil thermostat was gone! The front cover had destroyed my fan shroud, bent a fan blade and cracked my hood. Has anybody else ever experienced a failure of the front cover detaching from the main body of the fan clutch?

It might have been a good deal because someone took it apart and tried to fix it for their car, and then didn't trust it and sold it. I'm sorry that 'good deal' turned out to be a several thousand dollar boo boo.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default How needs Ebay

I picked up one of these for my 78 two years and 6K miles ago.
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=176&PTSet=A.
A-zone and NAPA have similar units. We used a NAPA one on by B-Law's 81.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...-+Thermostatic.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Who needs Ebay

I picked up one of these for my 78 two years and 6K miles ago.
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=176&PTSet=A.
A-zone and NAPA have similar units. We used a NAPA one on by B-Law's 81.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...-+Thermostatic.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally have never heard of an exploding fan clutch but it can't the first time. Was it new in the box, or used? If it was new, you should be able to get a replacement under warranty (of course that leaves open the question of the other damage to your vehicle). I am always leery of used mechanical parts, for reasons like this.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM
MelWff
Race Director

The seller had a quantity of 100 available. They are "supposed to be new BorgWarner" units. The box is plain brown cardboard with no markings on it to indicate the manufacturer. They sent me another one but I'm not comfortable using it and will return it. As you indicate, how do I get someone else to foot the bill on what it's going to cost me to repair all the damage.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would suggest staying local if possible when buying your parts. I worked for Advance Auto and I know from experience that they would reimburse you for your repairs in such a situation. Dealing with a retailer on Ebay is another story.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If the seller did not store the clutch properly,guess anything is possible...many are stamped on the face "Store this face down"....

Don't go cheap on cooling system parts...it's just not worth your time/labor....
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Actually the cover had "store this side face down" on one side and the same phrase on the other side of the cover in German. This phrase pertains to seal leaks on the shaft side over extended storage periods. The seal was completely dry before the cover failed.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Actually the cover had "store this side face down" on one side and the same phrase on the other side of the cover in German. This phrase pertains to seal leaks on the shaft side over extended storage periods. The seal was completely dry before the cover failed.
Sounds like this one...mine crapped out after a year..just got weak from leaks..

This is better..GM AX.....hard to find...old stock..
Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Your first picture looks identical to the failed one except mine had a CK stamp. Any idea who the manufacturer was?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Your first picture looks identical to the failed one except mine had a CK stamp. Any idea who the manufacturer was?
No I don't...it has a "CA" stamp....but major differences are those for A/C vettes and non-A/C vettes..
I'm running the GM AX on my 78 that has A/C with L82...

Get notified of new replies

To failed fan clutch

Quick Reply: failed fan clutch