C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering geometry Heim joint Steeroids/Rack Attack center bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering geometry Heim joint Steeroids/Rack Attack center bracket

My neighbor is a circle track B-mod guy and he saw my VBP Rack Attack set-up. He was real concerned about how the center heim joints can bounce off the bolt lock washer or the bracket. If it does this, eventually the heim will get deformed and can sieze up. He says he's seen them where it takes a pry bar to get them to move once damaged.

He machined me some tapered spacers to put on both side of the heim about 1/8 thick.

One concern is if both spacers were installed on each heim joint, it would move out the mounting bolt so 1/4 inch less threads are engaged. I suppose I could find a slighly longer grade 8 bolt to compensate.

The 60K question is:

Is there any special alignment geometry the tie rod sleeves center mounts have with the steering knuckles, as in maintaining a straight line between knuckles and center bracket mounts?

The spacer would push forward the heim connections by 1/8 inch, altering the sleeves geometry to the steering spindles. My worry is inducing a nasty bump steer.

Appreciate any replies...
Brent

Quick Reply: Steering geometry Heim joint Steeroids/Rack Attack center bracket